CoinPeople.com

1767 5 Kopeks CPM Overstruck

lennysky

Thank you for the pictures.

When I saw the price of $125, the first thing I thought was "Is it real?".

Well, it sure looks real to me (although I'm hardly as well versed in copper coins as others here are).

Congratulations on your good fortune! :ninja:

It certainly was at mycoindealer and if you've seen it, should have snagged it, because it is sure real and with the current market trend is worth quite a bit more. I bought a few pleasant surprises from the same dealer in the past.

:ninja: Yes I knew it.

I was actually under a debate on whether to get the 1731 denga overstruck on the 1724 kopek or that 5 kopek TM for about the same price. I figured that while the TM 5 kopeks are quite pricey and available assuming if I am willing to pay some 6-800 dollars in an "ok" condition but I just don't remember seeing many 1724 kopeks. That said, I don't even remember seeing ANY other than a few overstruck examples and they don't come that often either. I have two at the moment so I am considering to let one go. Got one in a lucky fluke that the seller didn't identify. Sadly we don't have all outrageous amount of money to buy what we want. ;)

;) Yes I knew it.

I was actually under a debate on whether to get the 1731 denga overstruck on the 1724 kopek or that 5 kopek TM for about the same price. I figured that while the TM 5 kopeks are quite pricey and available assuming if I am willing to pay some 6-800 dollars in an "ok" condition but I just don't remember seeing many 1724 kopeks. That said, I don't even remember seeing ANY other than a few overstruck examples and they don't come that often either. I have two at the moment so I am considering to let one go. Got one in a lucky fluke that the seller didn't identify. Sadly we don't have all outrageous amount of money to buy what we want. ;)

Yes I know, it is always either too late or lets just say its a fake :ninja:

Not too long before that purchase, i picked-up a 1734 Denga overstruck on Peter I Kopek from Elmen I think. And before that a 173something Polushka overstruck over a super clearly struck 1729 Moskovskaya Kopeyka. That was a nice buy and cheap too (under 50US). Usually, I miss out on all the nice ones. At least one strikes my memory as truly an upsetting one, but I rather not divulge:)

I have two at the moment so I am considering to let one go.

I would too want one. Can we split it frame by frame?

Guys...I think gxseries is talking about having 2 overstruck 1731 Dengas showing the 1724 as undercoin (we've discussed these several times on this board).

Steve

Guys...I think gxseries is talking about having 2 overstruck 1731 Dengas showing the 1724 as undercoin (we've discussed these several times on this board).

Steve

I know. The remark about purchase was addressed to gxseries. But, when Lenny started offering, I thought what the hell... :ninja:

I purchased it from a dealer about 1.5 years ago. From his web page to be exact. Steve Moulding may remember it as I showed it to him. During one of the Brooklyn Coin Club meetings. The dealer, was sorry he sold it as soon as I bought it, but could not back out of the deal.

The 5kop1767SPM is a difficult coin. In my opinion it is the rarest of the 5kopSPM buisness strike dates. I still don't have it. Congratulations, Sigi :ninja:

The 5kop1767SPM is a difficult coin. In my opinion it is the rarest of the 5kopSPM buisness strike dates. I still don't have it. Congratulations, Sigi :ninja:

gxseries claimed these could be had for a mere $50US. Would be nice ;)

Good grief lennysky, the 50USD I said is the minimum value of the overstruck 5 kopek coins from 1762-1767. I didn't account for the years, mintmark and such. ;) That said, if you pushed hard and look, I'm sure there are some coins out there waiting to be found. A high price that you have ready to pay for doesn't necessarily mean you can always find what you want (definitely helps though) - another half of the effort is to take a large amount of effort in finding it. That said, I don't remember paying 50USD for either my 1757 kopek over Swedish ore or the other 1731 denga over 1724 kopek although if I did explicitly labeled them as such and sell them, I'm sure it's worth a bit more than what I paid for :ninja:

Archived