CoinPeople.com

Anacs sold

Mark Stilson

Kind of old news but has not been mentioned here.

Over the Christmas holidays it appears ANACS was sold by Anderson Press, Inc., the owners of Whitman Publishing to Driving Force, LLC, owned by James Taylor. Former head of the company. A lot of speculation going on other boards, good, bad indifferent, etc.

For more info numismaster

Keep us up on how they turn out. It will be interesting how the new company grades. I wonder if there will be a delay. I read the equipment is being shipped. I'm not sure where the graders are from though. From posts going around they laid them off.

haha. once at a baltimore coin convention, i was walking the bourse wearing a t-shirt from my university. Some guy in a silly hat stopped me and asked what year I was there. He was a graduate apparently during the 60s or 70s (I can't remember) and gave me his card - James Taylor, president of ICG. It didn't really hit me what the significance of his position was (one of the most visible companies (for better or worse) in numismatics) until later.

there he goes again, taking over another grading firm thats good. but unless i'm mistaken, he doesn't have the best track record.

I have met Mr. Taylor several times. He loves to walk bourse floors at major coin shows and he's a pretty recognizable guy. I am secretly hoping that they revert back to the old smaller ANACS slabs... I have been told that my 5 day submission which was supposed to ship out the 26th wont ship out till the 2-4th... and I have yet to hear the grades... If they can pull off moving an entire major company across the country in a little more then a week it'll be a miracle and a testament to the new "management"

Probably so. James Taylor probably had some ins at hsn or cut them a deal they could not refuse..

EDIT:

BTW heres a snip from ICG's home page. Kind of cryptic I wonder if the upheaval is the graders that went to ANAC's?

"Happy New Year and Welcome to the ICG Family.

As many of you are aware ICG has recently endured unfortunate upheaval. We fully intend to avail ourselves of the protections afforded us under the law and believe that in the end justice will prevail.

Taking recent events into consideration we want to look to the future and preserve ICG’s reputation as one of the top independent coin grading companies.

Recent events have afforded the owners the opportunity to hire some of the industry’s most experienced and respected graders and support staff so that the task of advancing ICG’s mission to provide the highest quality product, the most effective and pleasant customer service, the quickest product turn around and the most cost effective grading service in the industry will continue.

If it sounds like we have been listening to your comments…… we have! ICG intends to immediately and effectively respond to industry demands to make ICG more responsive than ever.

This is our promise to you.

Sincerely,

Roger Edelman, CEO

Independent Coin Grading Service (ICG)"

Also heres an article on the sale at Coinlink.

I just got my grades back from the submission i had down there at the time of the move... time to get the hammer out.... my 5 day submission has been at anacs for 24 days now....and they torpedoed my submission... the best coin that came back was ms63...and the pair of 1924 d standing lib quarters that were cracked out of ngc ms64 holders came back ms61 and ms 62.....

I was reading about this in coin world. Apparently they all had no contest contracts, and their are some laws about presidents leaving and starting competeing businesses with prepritery information. There's a lot of legal issues happening. They say that there will be no effect on their grading turnarounds, but then again, how many empty promises have we seen companies make just to save face for the rest of the crowd?

already problems with grading turnarounds... I sent these coins in on a 5 day submission and paid extra for it... so that I would have these coins for a coin show this Sunday.... they got my coins on December 17th...coming on a month ago... called them yesterday and they still have not shipped my improperly graded coins that i have to crack... what a waste of time and money...

already problems with grading turnarounds... I sent these coins in on a 5 day submission and paid extra for it... so that I would have these coins for a coin show this Sunday.... they got my coins on December 17th...coming on a month ago...

That's amazing! I think it's so shameful how some of these companies operate.

well, it just miffs me.... they have my coins that I could have sold already if they had done what I paid them to do... I need situations like that like i need a hole in my head

Yeah, it's really unfortunate, it puts a squeeze on the small businessman. These corporate execs don't think about the small guy when they're focused on fattening the wallet. If I were in your position I would no longer grade with them. That's the way I protest businesses, I know it isn't hugely effective, I always just hope there is enough other people out there doing the same as me to make an impact. it helps me to sleep at night. lol.

well, it just miffs me.... they have my coins that I could have sold already if they had done what I paid them to do... I need situations like that like i need a hole in my head

So Matt, your response begs the question, are you selling the coin or the holder?

You have been in business long enough, and are a sharp enough coin dealer that you don't need no stinking TPGC to confirm a grade, to help you make a sale. Do you? Honestly assess the coin, assign a grade to it, and keep the slab submission money in your pocket. I know, you are going to say you need it in a holder to sell to a certain cliental, to which I might reply something about organic fertilizer or such. Everything I read about these TPG's is that no matter what holder you have it in, that is the wrong one. Got in a NGC holder? Sorry, should have been in a PCGS. Got it in a PCGS, oh, everyone knows that ANACS is the hardass on that series... and so it goes. I really believe that TPG is such a bane on the hobby and a huge waste of most people's funds. You're a good coin dealer, you have seen dozens, hundreds even, of the coin, so grade it fair, and stick to your grade. Tell them its backed by your reputation!

I would rather buy a raw honestly graded coin from you like I did, than any plastic tomb with a holographic label.

So Matt, your response begs the question, are you selling the coin or the holder?

You have been in business long enough, and are a sharp enough coin dealer that you don't need no stinking TPGC to confirm a grade, to help you make a sale. Do you? Honestly assess the coin, assign a grade to it, and keep the slab submission money in your pocket. I know, you are going to say you need it in a holder to sell to a certain cliental, to which I might reply something about organic fertilizer or such. Everything I read about these TPG's is that no matter what holder you have it in, that is the wrong one. Got in a NGC holder? Sorry, should have been in a PCGS. Got it in a PCGS, oh, everyone knows that ANACS is the hardass on that series... and so it goes. I really believe that TPG is such a bane on the hobby and a huge waste of most people's funds. Your a good coin dealer, you have seen dozens, hundreds even, of the coin, so grade it fair, and stick to your grade. Tell them its backed by your reputation!

I would rather buy a raw honestly graded coin from you like I did, than any plastic tomb with a holographic label.

I have to admit, Rabone did one up me on this topic. good response! lol.

Archived