2008 Presidential Coins

Nightwing

071226-dollarcoins-hlarge-3p.hlarge.jpg

Below are the release dates which have been finalized:

February 14 for James Monroe

May 15 for John Quincy Adams

August 14 for Andrew Jackson

November 13 for Martin Van Buren

Edited to add: I have removed the word "Preliminary" from the topic description and me stating these are preliminary images above as the US Mint has updated it's website and the images there do not distinguish a new location for the "In God We Trust Motto." See here: http://usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/. So what we see above is apparently what were getting!

I can't say I like Jackson's one bit. He looks stoned or something.

He should be. I should buy an X stamp to stamp over his ugly mug, like I do with $20 bills. I hate that man. 170 years later my family doesn't forget that b@st&rd.

To qualify this:

Supreme Court Cases

In 1830 Congress passed the Indian Removal Act, which directed the executive branch to negotiate for Indian lands. This act, in combination with the discovery of gold and an increasingly untenable position with the state of Georgia, prompted the Cherokee Nation to bring suit in the U.S. Supreme Court. In Cherokee Nation v. Georgia (1831) Chief Justice John Marshall, writing for the majority, held that the Cherokee Nation was a "domestic dependent nation," and therefore Georgia state law applied to them.

That decision, however, was reversed the following year in Worcester v. Georgia. Under an 1830 law Georgia required all white residents in Cherokee country to secure a license from the governor and to take an oath of allegiance to the state. Missionaries Samuel A. Worcester and Elizur Butler refused and were convicted and imprisoned. Worcester appealed to the Supreme Court. This time the court found that Indian nations are capable of making treaties, that under the Constitution treaties are the supreme law of the land, that the federal government had exclusive jurisdiction within the boundaries of the Cherokee Nation, and that state law had no force within the Cherokee boundaries. Worcester was ordered released from jail.

President Jackson refused to enforce the court's decision and along with legal technicalities, the fate of the Principal People seemed to be in the hands of the federal government. Even though the Cherokee people had adopted many practices of the white culture, and had used the court system in two major Supreme Court cases, they were unable to halt the removal process.

"John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it."

President Andrew Jackson re: Worcester v. Georgia"

You hold an impressively long grudge. Have you done anything about it or is the arm chair as far as the revenge gets?

As for the designs, I can't complain. I guess its the presidents who looked funny, not their representations. And Jackson looks like he just got caught finishing off a powdered donut.

mmm.. that sounds good right about now.

You hold an impressively long grudge. Have you done anything about it or is the arm chair as far as the revenge gets?

You just found out about a president that wantonly defied a Supreme Court decision and is to this day regarded as some sort of hero. He was nothing of the sort, and he was not even born in the US, but rather on a ship coming from Ireland. But if that truth were out he would have been disqualified for running for president as only native born citizens can be elected to the presidency(thankfully, or we would have Ahnold Shriver as our next president)

My Son hates Jackson too. He went to trade school at Nashville auto diesal collage and Scottashmoney you will like this he went up and spit on his grave and called him a few names. I don't care for him either.

My Son hates Jackson too. He went to trade school at Nashville auto diesel collage and Scottashmoney you will like this he went up and spit on his grave and called him a few names. I don't care for him either.

My Son hates Jackson too. He went to trade school at Nashville auto diesal collage and Scottashmoney you will like this he went up and spit on his grave and called him a few names. I don't care for him either.

Unlike the statement that it was about holding a grudge, more like it is educating people that this man was executing 19th century garden variety ethnic cleansing(Serbs would love him). Even in that day and age when viewpoints regarding people were vastly different from our views now, he was regarded negatively by many. He openly and wantonly flaunted a Supreme Court decision, and told John Marshall to "now enforce it" - a clear disregard for the separation of power, abiding by the court, and the constitution. This was only one of many areas he abused his powers.

Andrew Jackson should not be erased from history, but we cannot perfume up a rotten horse and should call him for what he was. I believe there are far more deserving individuals whom have had power in our country, for instance Abraham Lincoln whom overcame many prejudices to do so much for so many in our country.

On many of the Sovereign Nations, quite a few people will not even accept $20 bills. I think they should have just left Grover Cleveland on the $20, like he was on the 1914 FRN and consigned Jackson to ignominy on US money.

hahaha for anyone who has seen men in black..... doesn't that jackson design remind you of edgar??

6ydbksh.jpg

No, because to me Edgar doesn't have the faintest look of bewilderment or confusion on his face like Jackson does on his coin. I wonder what Jackson is confused by?

Press release for the new $1 coins. What I found particularly interesting was the mint directly attacking the statement of how the new $1 coins are perceived to be big and bulky by stating they weigh less than a quarter. Also, the below press release also gives instructions on how banks can reorder the coins after their initial 4 week availability if there are still coins left. I've read online many times in which people have said their banks cannot reorder the $1 coins for their customers.

United States Mint Reveals What the Four New 2008 Presidential $1 Coins Will Look Like

Launching Pilot Program to Increase Circulation of Presidential $1 Coins

WASHINGTON - Jingling in your pockets in 2008 will be Presidential $1 Coins bearing the images of James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren-the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth Presidents of the United States. The United States Mint released photographs of the four coins today.

The United States Mint will be putting a new Presidential $1 Coin into circulation every three months in 2008 beginning with the James Monroe Presidential $1 Coin on February 14. The John Quincy Adams Presidential $1 Coin will follow May 15. Then look for the Andrew Jackson Presidential $1 Coin on August 14 and the Martin Van Buren Presidential $1 Coin on November 13.

"We hope the next four Presidential $1 Coins will not only jingle in pockets but be spent as well," said United States Mint Director Ed Moy. "These coins are convenient. Each Presidential $1 Coin weighs less than four quarters, and they're especially useful for vending machines and mass transit."

The United States Mint is launching a business-to-business pilot program in metropolitan Washington, D.C., to increase the use of Presidential $1 Coins and to stimulate business and bank customer demand nationwide.

This local market initiative will focus on key stakeholders within metropolitan Washington, D.C., whose involvement will be pivotal in identifying and overcoming barriers to circulation. The initiative will emphasize that the Presidential $1 Coin is not just for collectors, but also a convenient alternative for many transactions.

"We will be working with several local retailers and banks in a concentrated area to facilitate the increased circulation of Presidential $1 Coins," said Director Moy. "We want to see more of these coins used in daily transactions and given out as change like other denominations."

In 2007, more than 800 million Presidential $1 Coins were ordered by the Federal Reserve and put into circulation. The first four coins, with the images of George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, are circulating throughout the economy.

Each Presidential $1 Coin will be shipped to banks and other financial institutions in rolls and small bags, unmixed with other $1 coins. Banks may order and store each Presidential $1 Coin up to two weeks before its introduction so financial institutions will have supplies on hand on the release date. The coins will be available to banks in unmixed rolls and bags for four weeks after their introduction. However, banks may re-order Presidential $1 Coins after the four-week window, in case there are remaining supplies. The special ordering process begins again two weeks prior to the date on which each new Presidential $1 Coin is released. To boost awareness and usage, the United States Mint is offering financial institutions and retail businesses free informational materials about the program at www.usmint.gov/$1coin.

Students, teachers, parents and educational organizations also can download lesson plans and other free educational materials at http://www.usmint.gov/kids/.

Digital images of the 2008 Presidential $1 Coins are available at: http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?action=Photo#Pres

###

Customer Service information: (800) USA MINT (872-6468)

Taken from: http://usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?acti...ease&ID=856

LOL....okay that was funny.

People regard him as a hero because he was instrumental in driving back the british. You know there are a lot of people I have seen go on a diatribe about lincoln as well...or every other president...or presidents on coins in general...I dont like Jackson much and would agree he is guilty of overstepping bounds and human rights violations but if you were to get on a soap box about such things, you would be on a soapbox about almost every historical leader, king, emperor EVER!! Almost none of them gave two craps about the people they ruled. Why do I not see such diatribes when someone posts a Coin of King George III? Or Napoleon? hell...any king just by the fact that they are KING is objectionable to me...I dont feel the need to express that every time someone posts a coin with a monarch on it...

I know...lets play a game...lets have one single thread about US presidential dollars where someone doesnt feel the need to bash a president or tell us their personal opinions about them and what they did...or rant about how they hate so and so...

Try to separate your personal opinions and keep political diatribes and rants in the right area and simply discuss the coins here and if you need to go into the history, no problem but when you opine and say 'so-and-so was a monster and I hate him'...thats just ranting. Just the facts about anyone is enough, their own needs will paint the picture good or bad. There are no perfect people on coins, some of them were products of their time and place...some were just rotten, some were just politicians doing a job, some went far above and beyond.

PS - Hate the portrait...I like many of them but this one is strange

I can't say I like Jackson's one bit. He looks stoned or something.

I agree. Is he the only President to have killed someone in a dual?

Archived