CoinPeople.com

1913 Romanov tercentenary rouble from China

RW Julian

This is most puzzling to me. This is a fairly common coin, why bother paying all this money to a seller with rating of 7, from China! Even without looking at the item I would estimate my odds of receiving anything as somewhat meager. I've been ebaying since 2001. I remember people were not eager to buy even from local sellers with low ratings - especially when their merchandise looked to good to be true. What happened?

The seller of the following 1913 commemorative rouble has two other Russian fakes for sale

and it is likely that this piece is also bad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200184596844

RWJ

I have heard that there are fakes of this coin out there, but I never saw one except for the silver-plated copper coin which was offered in a recent UBS auction (it didn't sell, BTW).

Perhaps this is a genuine coin, but there are certainly better ones for this kind of money -- and $25 shipping charges is a lot! It looks like a circulated coin which was soaked overnight in some harsh agent and then scrubbed with a Brillo pad. :ninja:

I have heard that there are fakes of this coin out there, but I never saw one except for the silver-plated copper coin which was offered in a recent UBS auction (it didn't sell, BTW).

Perhaps this is a genuine coin, but there are certainly better ones for this kind of money -- and $25 shipping charges is a lot! It looks like a circulated coin which was soaked overnight in some harsh agent and then scrubbed with a Brillo pad. :ninja:

Even if this coin is genuine, it's still an ugly example of a common coin which can easily be found in XF or better.

I agree with alexbq2. Even if the coin is genuine (which I doubt), there seems to be little reason to buy over the net from a relatively poorly known source in China.

If it is a fake, I see it as a test to see what people would bid even for common coins - even in China, 1 yuan coins are counterfeited which is a mere 12 US cents. Anything else above that is extremely profitable. :ninja:

Sold for $70. Very respectable! Funny part is that the seller entered this information: "Exact Year: 1749 "

I guess he usually sells the 1749 fakes.

ebay #230204860612

listing is worth checking out for entertainment value alone.

This one looks a lot like the 1913 silver-plated commem that was offered in a recent UBS auction. It even had decent-looking edge lettering!

I suppose the piece might have historical (as well as hysterical :ninja: ) interest, if it was indeed a contemporary fake.

Archived