CoinPeople.com

Lincoln Cent Designs

Dockwalliper

I think the under-construction capital building is the best motif. None of those images really suit me but I figure the following is the best because its the most recognizable:

LC-R-4-02bw.jpg

I don't think any of those designs are appropriate for a coin the size of a cent, especially when struck in low (no) relief.

Which makes you wonder why they even bother. Somehow I have to believe these will by then be NCLT pieces anyway, so they might as well go with high relief and make collectors happy to snap them up.

I think the proofs and mint set coins will be struck in high relief.

S. 1047 [109th]: Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2005

SEC. 305. SENSE OF THE CONGRESS.

It is the sense of the Congress that the original Victor David Brenner design for the 1-cent coin was a dramatic departure from previous American coinage that should be reproduced, using the original form and relief of the likeness of Abraham Lincoln, on the 1-cent coins issued in 2009.

I'm not sure if this includes the reverse design.

How do we know which ones were chosen? I didn't see anything in the article saying which was which.

Also, loved DP's choice also, but agree that while that very large sketch is nice, the coin itself will look like hell in low relief.

HOW ABOUT CONGRESS LETS THE NUMISMATISTS DO THE DECIDING AND DESIGNING??!?!!

Now my suggestion would be to make many, many Lincoln Cents in 2009. Each one would have Lincoln slowly turning from the right to the left. Now if you've ever flipped a bunch of papers with slightly different images on them, they appear to be moving. Original process for cartoons by Disney. Now with these coins you could do the same. This would force everyone to accumulate as many as possible to get enough to make it appear as if Lincoln is moving by standing the coins in a slot and flipping them over one at a time.

HOW ABOUT CONGRESS LETS THE NUMISMATISTS DO THE DECIDING AND DESIGNING??!?!!

In a way they did. These are the picks from the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee.

The CCAC was established in 2003 by Congress under Public Law 108-15 to advise the Secretary of the Treasury on the themes and designs of all US coins and medals. The CCAC serves as an informed, experienced and impartial resource to the Secretary of the Treasury and represents the interests of American citizens and collectors.

http://www.ccac.gov/

I'm not crazy about the hands, I'm not sure the average person(me included) would get it without reading supplemental information. The average non-collector isnt going to do that.

There's still hope, the treasury secretary has the final say....

Archived