CoinPeople.com

Opinions on possible overdate 1796/2 EM 5 Kopeck

squirrel

Ive wondered about this one for a while. It looks like the date is 1796 over 2. I have had difficulty getting a scan to show what i can see, the apparent ghost of a 2 under the 6.

923847.jpg

I have scanned at different angles, but it is still tough to see as it appears in person. Does anyone else see the 2?

And if anyone else has another example of this overdate, i'd love to see it.

Ive wondered about this one for a while. It looks like the date is 1796 over 2. I have had difficulty getting a scan to show what i can see, the apparent ghost of a 2 under the 6.

[image snipped for brevity...]

I have scanned at different angles, but it is still tough to see as it appears in person. Does anyone else see the 2?

Definitely, there is something there under the 6! :ninja:

But from what I can tell from your pictures, it could also be a 5.

Actually, IMHO the pictures you have provided are too small to make any definite decision here.

bobh, you can click on the thumbnail and it will expand.
Thanks for the heads-up, gxseries. ;)

Hmmm ... either I totally overlooked the little detail pictures, or else they were added after I replied... (?)

Anyway, things look a lot clearer now. I can see a "2", but also I see traces of "0" and "5"! ;)

Amazing coin there, squirrel; congratulations on finding it. :ninja:

The blow up in the middle shows the faint outline of an O surrounding the 6. At the North West of the 6 is an outstanding spike which fits well into that circle. Very distinct is the lower vertical portion of a 2. IMXO we have here a double overdate: 5kop1796/2/0. I think the coin would feel at home in my collection, too. Congratulations, Josh!

The blow up in the middle shows the faint outline of an O surrounding the 6. At the North West of the 6 is an outstanding spike which fits well into that circle. Very distinct is the lower vertical portion of a 2. IMXO we have here a double overdate: 5kop1796/2/0. I think the coin would feel at home in my collection, too. Congratulations, Josh!

1796/2 for sure. Very nice and un-recorded in the Brekke supplement. :ninja: I've been through my image database and dont see any others.

1792/0 I'm not so sure. The tops of the 2s were very circular. 1792/0 is also unknown in the Brekke supplement. At first I thought it might be 2/0 but the features I thought were part of a 0 were actually part of the 2.

Anyway, great coin and congratulations on a new overdate!!

Archived