CoinPeople.com

Rainbow toned coins

Cherry Picker

I've got to say that I like natural toning but wouldn't touch an AT coin with the proverbial 10 meter pole (international touch).

I got this in a junk bin:

899770.jpg

And sometimes old coins have developed toning, like this piece:

904400.jpg

And sometimes the toning is probably the result of an old cleaning:

899336.jpg

But the comic book colored coins that are sold as "toned" are just defaced IMHO. :ninja:

I've got to say that I like natural toning but wouldn't touch an AT coin with the proverbial 10 meter pole (international touch).

I got this in a junk bin:

899770.jpg

And sometimes old coins have developed toning, like this piece:

904400.jpg

And sometimes the toning is probably the result of an old cleaning:

899336.jpg

But the comic book colored coins that are sold as "toned" are just defaced IMHO. :ninja:

I agree 100%.

As for the annealing of a coin, that completely ruins the coin. It will almost always somewhat melt the high/thin areas of the design, giving the coin a slightly mushy look. If it isn't taken to the extremes that the metal turns red, the only oxidation that occurs is basically dependant on what gas torch/oven you are using. Also, annealing changes the alignment of the metal molecules, and in most cases makes the coin look really odd. Annealed silver, given that the coin was close to red/red-orange will have fine silver rise to the top, giving it a frosted white appearance. It's cool, but totally ruins the coin, in fact nearly any heating will somehow ruin a coin. If you want a toned coin, let it tone naturally in a sulphur rich environment like old non-archival paper. It's cheating, but it works, and it's about as natural as a few month long toning can be.

I agree 100%.

As for the annealing of a coin, that completely ruins the coin. It will almost always somewhat melt the high/thin areas of the design, giving the coin a slightly mushy look. If it isn't taken to the extremes that the metal turns red, the only oxidation that occurs is basically dependant on what gas torch/oven you are using. Also, annealing changes the alignment of the metal molecules, and in most cases makes the coin look really odd. Annealed silver, given that the coin was close to red/red-orange will have fine silver rise to the top, giving it a frosted white appearance. It's cool, but totally ruins the coin, in fact nearly any heating will somehow ruin a coin. If you want a toned coin, let it tone naturally in a sulphur rich environment like old non-archival paper. It's cheating, but it works, and it's about as natural as a few month long toning can be.

Great point.! I didn't think about the thinner points of the coin, annealing would without a doubt ruin the coin permently..

FWIW, those that have addapted the "boil to clean method" should seriously consider this..

i baked two pres dollors last week to see what happened and nothing happend!!! i then put them in water for 4 day and they turned a very pretty purple but i spent them hehe

Here ya go two oven baked dollars.

924760.jpg

924759.jpg

Regardless of any attempts to replace metal from a coin when some has been removed from dipping or cleaning is absolutely improbable. If a coin has had toning removed by dipping, some of the metal has gone with it and since the original toning is not unaform on the coin, the removed metal is also, not unaform. This would mean that some areas are showing a metal loss and other areas none. Obviously this is not a sign of normal wear. Attempts have been made by many people through electrolysis to replace this lost metal but the attempts only ended up plating the entire coin.

As to toning I again think this is just one more temporaray craze like the Beanie Baby stuff not long ago. Not to long ago no one would buy any coin that was all full of strange colors. Now every coin show there are such coins being sold for more than normal ones of the same grade. We now have special web sites for jsut toned coins. I think that is what it is called also, Tonedcoins.something or other. Some time back most error coins were considered a play thing with little value. I used to have fun showing dealers the reverses of Mercury Dimes with the usual rotations. I chewed them down on thier prices dramatically because of this. Now too there are books covering error coins, web sites dedicated to error coins and also at coin shows what used to be a joke is now selling for great money. I hope that all these fads wear out soon.

If you want to make a toned coin there are so many methods to do that and most are right in your own kitchen. Onions, Garlic, Vinegar and many other things right there will do the job and you too could have an ugly looking mass of colors on a little piece of metal.

mine didnt do anything!!!!!!!!

Bake at 400 f check every so often. The two coins have more difference then the shots show. One has a lot more purple in it. Thought about trying the match head bit on one of them. Don't know if it would do much with the metal.

As to toning I again think this is just one more temporaray craze like the Beanie Baby stuff not long ago.

I still have 75% of my Beanies.! :ninja: However, 95% of that is in a refrigerator box in my old closet at my folk's house. Plus, I still have two old Pokemon card decks and three or more Digimon/Giga Pets/Nanos. I didn't collect them for investment sakes, just to enjoy doing it! Which is why I'm experimenting with some ASE's at the moment; I just want one or two nicely (but not harshly) toned ones to look at and I might pick up a purply-toned cent from the penny jar every once in a while, just because. I'm a cheapskate, I guess, I don't want to pay more than I have to EVER, which is why I avoid things like errors and odd dates.

I guess that's my collecting philosophy; don't collect to invest, collect to enjoy.

P.S. - I didn't realize coin collecting could go in fads, too, how interesting!!!

As to toning I again think this is just one more temporaray craze like the Beanie Baby stuff not long ago. Not to long ago no one would buy any coin that was all full of strange colors. Now every coin show there are such coins being sold for more than normal ones of the same grade.

I remember those days at the coin shows. The dealers would do whatever it took to dump their toned pieces. They seemed to be very undesirable with most sellers who would look surprized if you showed much interest in them.

I remember those days at the coin shows. The dealers would do whatever it took to dump their toned pieces. They seemed to be very undesirable with most sellers who would look surprized if you showed much interest in them.

I wish I knew when the shift in mindset happened, really. I mean think about it, color/tone is just damage/oxidation to the coins surface, and is easily faked (Don't give me that, "you can't fake NT toning" junk, because you can). So to me toned coins may look nice, but are not as nice as a white coin, ever. Toning is and always has been easily faked, so unless you just want to collect for the novelty of having a colored coin, stick to blast whites. Also, toning hides damage, ask an old timer about "thumbing" sometime, and you'll understand what I mean.

I still have 75% of my Beanies.! :ninja: However, 95% of that is in a refrigerator box in my old closet at my folk's house. Plus, I still have two old Pokemon card decks and three or more Digimon/Giga Pets/Nanos. I didn't collect them for investment sakes, just to enjoy doing it! Which is why I'm experimenting with some ASE's at the moment; I just want one or two nicely (but not harshly) toned ones to look at and I might pick up a purply-toned cent from the penny jar every once in a while, just because. I'm a cheapskate, I guess, I don't want to pay more than I have to EVER, which is why I avoid things like errors and odd dates.

I guess that's my collecting philosophy; don't collect to invest, collect to enjoy.

P.S. - I didn't realize coin collecting could go in fads, too, how interesting!!!

haha my mom has beanies and i have like 2,000 pokemon cards lol if u ever come to ohio u can have em!!!

Archived