CoinPeople.com

1705 Polupoltinnik on eBay

Maya

I was afraid of that. The coin did not look right to me, but then I don't have enough experience to trust my own judgement. The Feedback on the seller is 100% positive, which threw me a little as well. :ninja:

Thank you all very much.

I was afraid of that. The coin did not look right to me, but then I don't have enough experience to trust my own judgement.

This is very good, Maya. It means that you are beginning to develop a sense of the style used in making the real coins. As you look at more coins, you will develop a keener sense of what they look like. Sometimes you can glance at a coin and even though you might not be able to say in words what it is that is wrong, you just know that it "doesn't look right".

I was afraid of that. The coin did not look right to me, but then I don't have enough experience to trust my own judgement. The Feedback on the seller is 100% positive, which threw me a little as well. :ninja: Thank you all very much.
My recommendations to buy the books before you buying the coins, and very easy compare the pictures. For polupoltines of Peter I I recommend M. Dyakov (2 parts) ;)

Thank you Grivna1726 and RARENUM for the encouragement and the advice. I am in the process of acquiring books on Russian coins following a suggested list posted by Bobh (if I am not mistaken) a few months ago, and will add M. Dyakov to that list. So far I only have Krause, Uzdenikov, and Severin (Gold and Platinum), and have ordered R.W. Julian's book on Russian Silver Coinage, so I have a long, long way to go. :ninja:

Maya - if you are painfully cheap, there are plenty of free auction sites that have plenty of previous coin auction houses such as Dimitry Markov's, Goldburg, Stacks etc that have previous auctions online. Perhaps you can find some examples there. Cheap catalogues are always good. I know I am darn cheap :ninja:

But again, I do highly recommand Rarenum's advice - always buy the books and get the sense of what genuine coins are like. Fortunately most of the counterfeits are "detectable" but recent ultra high quality counterfeits are getting very tough - but that's where this forum comes useful ;)

In reality, if you are looking for "rare" coins on ebay - perhaps that's where you will get stinged hard. The best chances are to look for them in real auction houses but at current mad auction prices, I think I'll just reduce my wantlist.

Thanks gxseries. I will look into auction catalogues.

To tell you the truth, at the moment I am doing a lot more looking than buying, and what thrills me the most is flagging something for myself on eBay that I think questionable and then seeing it posted by RW Julian as a fake.

I have also gone as far back in this forum as I can and have looked at a lot of your old threads and the pictures you have posted that are still available. It is amazing to me how much time and effort went into making this forum what it is today, and although when I first started I had no clue of what you all were talking about, it is actually beginning to make sense to me now. It's a lot of pages to go through and takes time, especially the older ones, where there was so much information, so I haven't finished yet, but I will.

This item that I posted, as well as some others I have asked your opinions about, was something that I was considering buying, providing the bidding did not get out of hand. But I don't make a habit of buying anything without checking it out first, especially since being alerted by all of you about what is happening with the coin market.

So, thank you all again for your comments, support and advice. :ninja:

Thanks gxseries. I will look into auction catalogues.

To tell you the truth, at the moment I am doing a lot more looking than buying, and what thrills me the most is flagging something for myself on eBay that I think questionable and then seeing it posted by RW Julian as a fake.

I have also gone as far back in this forum as I can and have looked at a lot of your old threads and the pictures you have posted that are still available. It is amazing to me how much time and effort went into making this forum what it is today, and although when I first started I had no clue of what you all were talking about, it is actually beginning to make sense to me now. It's a lot of pages to go through and takes time, especially the older ones, where there was so much information, so I haven't finished yet, but I will.

This item that I posted, as well as some others I have asked your opinions about, was something that I was considering buying, providing the bidding did not get out of hand. But I don't make a habit of buying anything without checking it out first, especially since being alerted by all of you about what is happening with the coin market.

So, thank you all again for your comments, support and advice. :ninja:

You're doing it right, Maya. It takes self-discipline to study and learn about the coins before you buy them. But that way, you can make better decisions when you do buy. ;)

You're doing it right, Maya. It takes self-discipline to study and learn about the coins before you buy them. But that way, you can make better decisions when you do buy. ;)

I agree with grivna1726 100% on this, Maya. :ninja:

Too many people today are buying slabbed coins just because they don't want to take the time (and spend the money ... hey, books are expensive, too!) to learn about the actual coins inside the slab and about how to properly grade them. Investing in knowledge always pays off! And you have the satisfaction of having done the research yourself, which can be lots of fun. ;)

Isn't this what collecting is all about? ;)

:ninja:;)

Here you go Maya... you can compare these side by side on your screen.

I cant comment on the seller one way or another.

http://cgi.ebay.de/AUGSBURGER-Polupoltina-...1QQcmdZViewItem

My goodness Squirrel, is that what the 1705 polupoltina is supposed to look like? ;) These two coins have hardly anything in common! No wonder it was so ridiculously obvious to all that the one I questioned is a fake.

I thought it was a different design or variety and found it intriguing. How embarassing!!! ;)

Again, thank you all. I'll try not to be quite so stupid next time. ;)

:ninja::D

My goodness Squirrel, is that what the 1705 polupoltina is supposed to look like? ;) These two coins have hardly anything in common! No wonder it was so ridiculously obvious to all that the one I questioned is a fake.

I thought it was a different design or variety and found it intriguing. How embarassing!!! ;)

Again, thank you all. I'll try not to be quite so stupid next time. ;)

I don't think it would have been "ridiculously obvious" to any of us here when we were beginners.

Your question was not stupid, nor do you have any reason to feel embarrassed.

On the contrary, you have displayed a great deal of common sense and an intelligent approach by learning about the coins before you start acquiring them for your collection. Do you know how unusual that is? ;)

Maya. You said yourself you didnt think the coin looked right to you. you have a good instinct! :ninja:

As has been discussed here, even the major auctions have included fakes on occasion, that went past "experts"

Im sure many of us here have been stung by a fake, and are too embarassed to mention it. I have a coin right now i am sending back, bought on ebay, and the photo was ok, but not very high res, and in person, the coin just doesnt seem right. ;) Luckily, the seller has agreed to take it back.

perhaps we can start a new thread "I spent $$$ for this fake..." ;)

Archived