CoinPeople.com

Hardest Modern Banknote to find...

Grant Ness

Currently circulating? For me, the hardest series to track down were the newer issues from Tajikistan & Latvia. There's tons of the old stuff to be found for a few bucks...but for the current issues, I had to buy from dealers who either lived there or near there. Bahamas is pretty tough too.

latvia10-vi.jpg

taj100-vi.jpg

For older notes, the notes I'm having a hard time tracking down are uncirculated 1962 Katanga issues, Italian 50,000 Lire from 1967, Bahraini 5 Dinars from 1964, and Portuguese Mozambique notes without the "Banco de Mozambique" overprint stamp.

The main issue with the Latvian notes is their high value. Dealers don't have a whole lot of wiggle room for markup on a high exchange value modern note. Latvia remains one country I only have older notes from, which is okay since I prefer the older designs as more representative of Latvia.

The main issue with the Latvian notes is their high value. Dealers don't have a whole lot of wiggle room for markup on a high exchange value modern note. Latvia remains one country I only have older notes from, which is okay since I prefer the older designs as more representative of Latvia.

Why is Latvia currency so high in value ?

It has a high exchange rate against the US $. Currently the exchange rate is $1.93 for a Latvian Lat, and unlike some other high exchange value countries like Cyprus, Malta etc that print a lot of lower value notes for collectors, Latvia doesn't. The lowest value note is 5 Lats, or almost $10 US.

How about Singapore 10,000 dollars or Burnei 10,000 dollars note? I'm sure the face value of them will push most collectors out of the way ;)

Speaking of which, I haven't seen any Russian 5000 rubles yet. Anyone got one yet? :ninja:

It is true that most collectors including me do not collect such big denomination from Singapore or Brunei $10,000 but they are not the hardest or most difficult modern banknote to find and acquire. They are available from the bank. We just need the money to pay for it. ;)

Archived