CoinPeople.com

Pristine Follis

jamesicus

Every so often you get lucky and find a prisitine coin. Whenever I do, I consider it a compensation for the coins I buy that do not quite measure up to my expectations (or the seller's description!).

Here is a Licinius I follis in Mint condition, as struck, with all the original silvering:

ric83os.JPGric83rs.JPG

LICINIUS I

Valerius Licinianus Licinius

Augustus: 308-324 AD

A689 (Askew)

Obverse: MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES

Reverse: GENIO POP ROM (S F - left & right in field) (PLN - in exergue)

(Genius of the Roman People with cornucopia in cradled in left arm - patera in right hand)

James

Here is another favorite of mine:

A641oa.jpgA641ra.jpg

MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES .................................................... GENIO POPVLI ROMANI

GALERIUS (Caius Galerius Valerius Maximianus)

RIC Volume VI - No. 15 - Class II, Cuirassed bust, c. AD 300 onward, with small head on tall neck

A great feature of collecting Tetrarch coins is that they are often available in extremely fine condition -- at very reasonable prices -- from dealers with well established reputations.

James

Isn't it funny how they all looked so much alike?

In general, Yes. Here is the (to me) impish Maximianus:

A612oa.jpg

Maximianus (Herculius)

Marcus Aurelius Valerius Maximianus

Augustus of the western Empire: 286-305 AD

A612 (Askew)

DN MAXIMINIANO PF S AVG

James

In general, Yes. Here is the (to me) impish Maximianus:

A612oa.jpg

Maximianus (Herculius)

Marcus Aurelius Valerius Maximianus

Augustus of the western Empire: 286-305 AD

A612 (Askew)

DN MAXIMINIANO PF S AVG

James

In this era expecially the hair and the eyes are rendered in such a way as to make thme all look alike. Although on this piece there is a little more personal detail in the eyes. Do you just collect these from the tetrarchy onwards or do you have any pieces from just before? It would be cool to see the portrait progression from veristic to canonical as the Empire moved from a Latin to a Greek center.

.......... Do you just collect these from the tetrarchy onwards or do you have any pieces from just before? ..........

Presently I specialize in Roman coins of the London Mint: 296-325 AD. However, over the (now many) years I have formed collections of coins from various periods of Roman Imperial history, particularly Julio-Claudian.

My major interest has always been the historical association of these coins, although I am also an avid student of Inscriptional letterforms (see the following thread on this subject).

James

Archived