CoinPeople.com

Lets see some Colonial era coinage!

Vfox

I recently came across a small hoard of half pennies in junk boxes at several dealers, and on top of what my dad and I found diggin in the dirt, I now have about a dozen of them! All the other ones I've purchased, and none except the cartwheel in the center ever cost over $5. I really like these low grade coins, there is just something that screams I AM HISTORY about them. So lets see what everyone has!?

4lizq0o.jpg

Cool coins!

I agree, they do shout "I AM HISTORY!", although I still don't like slugs, and one semi-decent example to actually see the details is a nice thing too.

Cool finds though! ;)

Eh, I like perfect coins and all, but I am a history buff, and love coins that really did serve a purpose during the timeframe in which they were used. As for nice examples, if you can see it, on the right side is my Connecticut cent (not the one I found recently) that has Vf-Xf details, it's really dark, but in pretty darn nice shape. It's the one with the broken planchet. And best of all, it was a $0.25 bin find! :ninja:

Perfect coins=pain in the derriere. Expensive, hard to store and paranoid. All you do is sit and stare at the photos. (Why am I sprouting things that sound like hard-learned lessons, yet I've never been there? :/)

And I wasn't saying your collection was bad, I was saying in general, that's what I like to see in this type of collection. I love your little set. A perfect example for a nice, history-rich, cheap(!), set of coins that shows the wear 'n tear, but you have a coin or two to look at the details :ninja: (Love that one in the middle! ;))

Junkbins are fun

• 1 year later...

Ah good 'ol 2007, lol.

I give this a fresh restart. :ninja:

I'm actually in the middle of reading America's Money, America's Story; this thread is ironically resurfacing at an interesting time, hehe. I'm only about 40 pages into the book, but it's an easy read, I actually feel like it's targeted at younger readers, but heck...I like it, haha.

Anyway here are some colonial era coins that vastly influenced the colonial development of the period.

I'm actually not sure if this is a half-penny or farthing, it's just an interesting copper. Any further info would be nice. ;)

aw5i55.jpg

A little Spanish 1 REAL minted at the Mexico City mint which was more vital to early America than any place in Europe.

ziw3k8.jpg

Another Early Spanish Castle Maravedis or Castle Cob. These are minted under Castile and Leon, hence the castle and lion. Witty, right?

ip5aj7.jpg

A George III half penny. This one is a contemporary counterfeit, likely minted in England at a light weight and sent to the colonies.

szeopg.jpg

Spanish 4 reale, undated. Probably Philip III (Philippus)1598-1621. The crown is sitting atop the shield instead of behind it as in Philip IV coins. However, because no assayer is visible I cannot be certain.

97jqrk.jpg

Colonial era half penny. George III possible Mochin Mills, which means a contemporary US counterfeit. (6.88g)

2u4n2h3.jpg

I really encourage others to contribute! ;)

My 1775 cost me no more then three dollars. I got it a while back, they are scarcer in higher grades, but not too hard to get ahold of. Marks might cost you a tad more, his is a nicer specimen...but I still get the junk ones out of the $0.50 bin once in a while.

My 1775 cost me no more then three dollars. I got it a while back, they are scarcer in higher grades, but not too hard to get ahold of. Marks might cost you a tad more, his is a nicer specimen...but I still get the junk ones out of the $0.50 bin once in a while.

:ninja:

Oh man! That's reasonable!

Got this one on a trip to the States when I was in 8th grade. It was at some kind of historic site/fort something, where they had some colonial era things for sale. This is actually the only coin I bought between the ages of 13 and 23.

Unfortunately, I left it in it's original plastic flip for those 10 years, and it got some PVC damage. I don't recall the greyish green goop being on the coin when I bought it, but I can't recall for sure. I've tried a couple treatments of alcohol to dissolve the goop, and it has improved slightly. I was using 60% alcohol, but I've read that using a higher concentration may both work faster, and cause less damage to the coin (from it sitting in water I guess?). I'd love to hear any other ideas or tricks that I could use.

943801.jpg

Here are a couple more.

George II half penny, looks like someone attempted, and failed, a hole through this one.

2lwx6q0.jpg

2pph6cm.jpg

This is a George III Cartwheel penny, not the HUGE 2 pence however.

1z6a3ia.jpg

rbiie0.jpg

This is a George II half penny from what I can tell...I have no clue what the date is...something before 1760 anyway.

hvxd0n.jpg

s5xyqq.jpg

I need to take better photos of this one. It is a Connecticut half cent issued by the state before the establishment of US minting regulations.

b5n0qr.jpg

aw6asn.jpg

And because I cannot separate the founding of a colonial nation. A pair of 1795 US large cents.

2i6hurr.jpg

33jq1j9.jpg

Btw, I'm curious, do you consider these large cents colonial, federalist, or nationalist issues?

Got this one on a trip to the States when I was in 8th grade. It was at some kind of historic site/fort something, where they had some colonial era things for sale. This is actually the only coin I bought between the ages of 13 and 23.

Unfortunately, I left it in it's original plastic flip for those 10 years, and it got some PVC damage. I don't recall the greyish green goop being on the coin when I bought it, but I can't recall for sure. I've tried a couple treatments of alcohol to dissolve the goop, and it has improved slightly. I was using 60% alcohol, but I've read that using a higher concentration may both work faster, and cause less damage to the coin (from it sitting in water I guess?). I'd love to hear any other ideas or tricks that I could use.

943801.jpg

It's not in production anymore because it is VERY harmful to the environment and to your genetic code, but some old timers still sell it at their shops. It's called blue ribbon coin restorative, and will take gunk off your coin without harming the patina. It's VERY very very toxic however, so please use it with caution if you do. Use the same precautions you would if you were mixing clear resin, gloves, mask, ventilation.

KoRnholio - maybe you visited Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown. I know Red Green mentioned "Williamsburg" as a popular vacation destination for some Canadians.

V, where did you get those "nationalist" large cents? Surely you didn't unearth them like you did one of your other coins? Also, I've said this several times before, but I NEED TO GET A CARTWHEEL!

KoRnholio - maybe you visited Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown. I know Red Green mentioned "Williamsburg" as a popular vacation destination for some Canadians.

V, where did you get those "nationalist" large cents? Surely you didn't unearth them like you did one of your other coins? Also, I've said this several times before, but I NEED TO GET A CARTWHEEL!

Haha, I didn't think anyone knew about Red Green outside of my area.

Anywho, the large cents...I got the first one off eBay, and the other was out of a collection I was selling. I was able to get it as part of my comission. When you get a cartwheel though, get a 2 pence, they are the size of those huge 5 kopeks from the 1760's.

Haha, I didn't think anyone knew about Red Green outside of my area.

Anywho, the large cents...I got the first one off eBay, and the other was out of a collection I was selling. I was able to get it as part of my comission. When you get a cartwheel though, get a 2 pence, they are the size of those huge 5 kopeks from the 1760's.

Red Green is a weekly fixture on our TV screen. Everyone I know that has caught an episode, loves the show. Too bad its hidden on PBS - the channel no one dares to visit.

I'll check out cartwheels and some other colonials at the next Baltimore show in June. Thanks for starting this thread, I'm glad to see it finally picked up. I look forward to more great coins posted!

Also, I'm guessing there is one big, beautiful colonial rarity hiding in a CP collection. Maybe a Fugio cent?! Pine tree schilling?!

Also, I'm guessing there is one big, beautiful colonial rarity hiding in a CP collection. Maybe a Fugio cent?! Pine tree schilling?!

I had to pass up a 1785 nova constellatio cent in F-Vf the other day. I couldn't afford the $400 price tag, then again, my dealer sold it to another dealer for $625...so maybe I should have invested, lol. I don't know colonials well enough to spend hundreds of dollars on them, but I do know that a blunt rayed nova in such great shape would have been an amazing piece to own.

Then again, a nice Massachusets cent would be nice too. :ninja:

From the discoverers of the new world:

Macoq7.jpg

The Spanish Empire, Felipe IV, countermarked 1641, 1652 and 1659 AD.,

copper 4 and 8 Maravedíes, 3 times countermarked on earlier 8 Maravedies (23-26 mm / 5,85 g),

Obv.: 3 countermarks: crowned PHILIPPVS-monogram ; 1652 ; VIII / G • (Granada mint?).

Rev.: 3 countermarks: crowned REX-monogram / 16[5]9 ; 8 in an oval; crowned [1]641.

Cayon p. 625, 4941 ff.

:ninja:

Archived