CoinPeople.com

Slabbed coin - I'd undress her the first evening

sigistenz

Hi everybody, a recent thread derouted into a hot discussion about slabbed coins. If I ever had to take a slabbed coin (which I doubt), I'd free it rightaway.

How else could I touch it, view it, arrange and rearrange it in my trays, one day by size or by date, next time by mint or compare it by holding it against another

and still another? Each new arrival provides the delicious event of a general removal of quite some squatters. The day after, I may prefer integrating it

elsewhere or even rearrange the whole lot.

I need nobody to tell me the grade (by the way, how could a slabbing service grade an overstruck 5kop of Cath.II?) - it's me myself to like or dislike a coin.

This is not to convince anybody, I just want to show my way. Sigi collectionforimageshacksh1.jpg

I don't really care. What matters is if the coin is genuine and if there are any problems with it like what the previous thread is all about. If you don't like it, you can always crack it open.

I am willing to bet that most people have bought their coins at least once online. The thing is you can't expect ALL sellers to provide high quality coin pictures online. They might be able to describe as good as they can but they would have no clue if they don't even collect coins (even worse in a situation if they just inherited a batch of coins and have no clue what they are).

Unless the coins are sold by dealers who know their fields very well, how exactly do you expect me or anyone else to trust what is genuine especially with the gradual rising number of counterfeits out there?

(although I do find it silly that some would even slab common Soviet commemorative coins too unless there is something unique to it)

Impressive collection of coppers, sigistenz. Your post could be even more exciting if you would show a tray of swedish plate money for several kilo each and state that you do not need slabbing. :ninja: You keep your large medium grade coppers the same way as everyone else. Many of them are too large to fit into slabs, too cheap to spend additional money on slabbing, too low grade to make slabbing reasonable.

Show us a tray of early Russian Proofs. Those would be foolish not to slab, they get damaged even in the best trays. They get unattractive toning. They get easily fingerprinted.

You got what I want to say.

WCO

WCO - I am highly intridged. From my impression, you must have a hoard of early Russian proof coins slabbed. Would you care to show some?

gxseries, I am not a collector, so I do not keep coins. :ninja: I sell them. But over the years I used to sell many very nice Proofs in all metals copper, silver, gold and platinum. I have pictures of some of them, sold more recently. But what is the point to show you pictures of coins sold? ;) They belong to someone else now. You used to see those coins on some major auctions too. ;)

WCO

gxseries, I am not a collector, so I do not keep coins. :ninja: I sell them.

[...snip...]

WCO

Теперь всё ясно -- it's no secret that slabbing is more seller-friendly than collector-friendly! ;)

Although I, too, own a few slabbed coins, I buy them more for (self-)educational reasons regarding grading practices (but not for reasons of authenticity). Everything has advantages and disadvantages; the more of one, the more of the other.

I have a Yeoman blue book (for USA coins) published in 1966, well before NGC, PCGS and all the other such companies were even dreamt of. It is very educational reading material ... but it would be somewhat OT to expand on this subject in the Russian coins forum.

Hi everybody, a recent thread derouted into a hot discussion about slabbed coins. If I ever had to take a slabbed coin (which I doubt), I'd free it rightaway.<br> How else could I touch it, view it, arrange and rearrange it in my trays, one day by size or by date, next time by mint or compare it by holding it against another<br> and still another? Each new arrival provides the delicious event of a general removal of quite some squatters. The day after, I may prefer integrating it<br> elsewhere or even rearrange the whole lot. <br> I need nobody to tell me the grade (by the way, how could a slabbing service grade an overstruck 5kop of Cath.II?) - it's me myself to like or dislike a coin. <br>

This is not to convince anybody, I just want to show my way. Sigi

Nice coins, the best way to compare eagle type,edge, overdates ...Good luck with your collection.

Archived