CoinPeople.com

Oak's Newest

AnemicOak

I saw that Magdeburg I think...passed on it because I was already bidding on others (most that I didnt win).

3d2c_1_b.JPG

Lost the bidding for this one...:ninja:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...(most that I didnt win)...

Yeah I had some bids in on a bunch of stuff from a seller named vad11148 that I didn't win. I'm wondering if there isn't a little shilling going on there. Tons of his stuff that had one bid was bid up by saltygirl999. The same thing appears to have happed in past auctions. I suppose it could be legit, just seemed kind of fishy.

That was a nice one you missed.

I buy often from vad...cant say that I noticed shilling but certainly could be...it could be that the bidder simply bid on a lot of his stuff...I often bid on quite a few of his stuff at a time as I go down the list...I did notice saltygirl bidding on a lot of his stuff though :ninja:. My ebay name is drumax.

Brian I love your Notgeld collection :ninja: Can I ask who did you get your web page from I like the way it is set up.

;)

Thanks. I set it up myself using Coppermine photo gallery software (it's free & many hosts offer it pre installed). I'm still working on the Notgeld gallery, another 100+ notes to go. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
:ninja: That's about the most gorgeous toning I've seen in a while. Classier than some of the other oens I've seen recently. Very fitting for one of my favorite designs.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Picked this up for a good price on VAuctions today. Not bad for over 2,000 years old. It's a tiny little 11mm coin.

579LG.jpg

AE 11

Aeolis, Ealaea

Helmeted Athena / Grain in Wreath

340-300 BC

Obv: Helmeted head of Athena left

Rx: Grain within wreath

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolis

Aeolis (Ancient Greek Αιολίς Aiolís) or Aeolia (IPA: [iːˈoʊlɪə]) (Ancient Greek Αιολία Aiolía) was an area that comprised the west and northwestern region of Asia Minor, mostly along the coast, and also several offshore islands (particularly Lesbos), where the Aeolian Greek city-states were located. Aeolis incorporated the southern parts of Mysia which bounded it to the north, Ionia to the south, and Lydia to the east. In early times, the Aeolians' twelve most important cities were independent, and formed a league: Cyme (also called Phriconis), Larissae, Neonteichos, Temnus, Cilla, Notium, Aegiroessa, Pitane, Aegeaeae, Myrina, Gryneia, and Smyrna.[1]

According to Homer's description, Odysseus, after his stay with the Cyclopes, reached the island of Aeolus, who provided him with the west wind Zephyr.

Aeolis was an ancient district on the western coast of Asia Minor. It extended along the Aegean Sea from the entrance of the Hellespont (now the Dardanelles) south to the Hermus River (now the Gediz River). It was named for the Aeolians, some of whom migrated there from Greece before 1000 BC. Aeolis was, however, an ethnological and linguistic enclave rather than a geographical unit. The district often was considered part of the larger northwest region of Mysia.

By the 8th century BC, twelve of the southern Aeolian city-states were grouped together in a league. The most celebrated of the cities was Smyrna (modern Izmir, Turkey), but in 699 BC, Smyrna became part of an Ionian confederacy. The remaining cities were conquered by Croesus, king of Lydia (reigned 560-546 BC). Later they were held successively by the Persians, Macedonians, Seleucids, and Pergamenes. Attalus III, the last king of Pergamum, bequeathed Aeolis to Rome in 133 BC. Shortly afterward, it was made part of the Roman province of Asia. At the partition of the Roman Empire (395 AD), Aeolis was assigned to the East Roman (Byzantine) empire and remained under Byzantine rule until the early 1400s, when the Ottoman Turks occupied the area.

Archived