CoinPeople.com

7,5 Roubles - fake or not?

peete82

I bought lately one 7,5 Roubles gold coin. Now I am doubting, is it fake or not.

It has a wide rim (on edge) on obverse, all the other 7,5 Roubles I have seen have

tighter rim. I made the picture comparing two coins; this one under

question is on the right side.

7,5.jpg

Colour looks OK, text on edge also.

What do You think?

I bought lately one 7,5 Roubles gold coin. Now I am doubting, is it fake or not.

It has a wide rim (on edge) on obverse, all the other 7,5 Roubles I have seen have

What do You think?

There are two different obverse die varieties of the 7-1/2 rouble coin. They are listed in the Kazakov reference. Unfortunately, I' m not at home right now, but I'll try to post scans of the different varieties later today or tomorrow.

If the weight is OK, it is probably genuine. :ninja:

There are two different obverse die varieties of the 7-1/2 rouble coin. They are listed in the Kazakov reference. Unfortunately, I' m not at home right now, but I'll try to post scans of the different varieties later today or tomorrow.

I would really appreciate that! I dont have Kazakov`s catalogue, Bitkin does not show it.

What do You think?

There are varieties in 15 and 7 1/2 rubles with narrow and wide rim. While I prefer to see reverse side, edge, and weight of the coin in question before answering about authenticity, looking at obverse I do not see anything that wrong. Denticles around the perimeter of the rim may somewhat differ.

WCO

I would really appreciate that! I dont have Kazakov`s catalogue, Bitkin does not show it.

Here are the two obverse variety images from the reference work by Vladimir Vassilyevich Kazakov:

«Монеты Царствования Императора Николая II», published in Moscow, 2004:

Kazakov_7.5_Roubles_1897_A1A2.jpg

And here is the complete reference table for this type:

Kazakov_7.5_Roubles_1897.jpg

The other varieties are edge varieties -- mostly missing dot between "AG", i.e.: (А·Г) or (А Г) or else part of the right ")" missing. To me, these are errors and not varieties, though.

Congratulations! :ninja: Looks like you have a type A2 which is scarce! ;)

WCO, just another off topic question, does there happen to be any kind of thick rim version of silver kopeks like this one:

908385.jpg

Hm didn't think it's 100 years old. :ninja:

I used to find some 20 kopecks of different dates with wide rim, just like this 1907 coin, but do not know if such varieties are listed in any catalogues.

WCO

WCO, just another off topic question, does there happen to be any kind of thick rim version of silver kopeks like this one:

[snip]

Hm didn't think it's 100 years old. :ninja:

Kazakov lists only one variety for this year, but it looks quite similar to your coin. The rim for 1908 20 k. does look a bit thinner, though. 1906 looks thicker, similar to 1907.

Hi Bobh, do you know where can I buy the "reference work by Vladimir Vassilyevich Kazakov:«Монеты Царствования Императора Николая II», published in Moscow, 2004" in USA? I try to search it on Amazon but no luck at all. I am looking forward your reply. Thanks

Bang

Hi Bobh, do you know where can I buy the "reference work by Vladimir Vassilyevich Kazakov:«Монеты Царствования Императора Николая II», published in Moscow, 2004" in USA? I try to search it on Amazon but no luck at all. I am looking forward your reply. Thanks

Bang

I bought mine on eBay from the seller "valeriyavaleriya71". It was privately published, I believe -- only 1,000 copies were printed, so it may be hard to find (and that's why you won't find it on Amazon). I recently saw one offered for sale on the Molotok site (http://www.molotok.ru), so if you are in Russia, that might be a better place to look.

Archived