CoinPeople.com

New British £20 note coming out Spring 2007

Johnny 1989

I orignally posted this in the British Coin forum in error way back in November 2006.

The Bank of England is releasing a brand new £20 in the UK that features Adam Smith, a Scottish economist, and has a whole host of new anti copying features.

At the moment unfortunately images are a bit thin on the ground but here's what I've found so far:

Mervyn King, Governor showing the reverse of the note

http://streamstudio.world-television.com/C...get=en-default-

Andrew Bailey, Chief Cashier showing the front of the note

http://streamstudio.world-television.com/C...get=en-default-

Close up of back of note from BBC News website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/po...25010/img/1.jpg

What do people think of the new design? It's certainly a big change in the design, it looks quite good although I think it will look better in print rather than on the internet (as most do) be interesting to see what they do for the £10 & £5 notes and also whether or not they will eventually change the design of the £50 note which has been in use since 1994

interesting design direction. it's a lot more brown and less purple than the current notes. i'm not sure i like the plainish font they used in the lettering on the reverse. designwise, i don't think i like the caption for pin manufacturing either.

the new front hologram looks to be a strip made up of four ovals, two of which look like the same side portrait of adams from the reverse. plain-looking, in my opinion. it's not as regal or ornate as brittania seated within a flourished crowned seal on the current note. i reeeally like that hologram. these...not so much.

with the prevalence of brown and the geometric design...my initial first impression of the new note was that it reminds me a lot of the jordanian 50 dinars.

brit-vi.jpg

jord-vi.jpg

so far, i'm hoping they look better in hand than they do on the internet!

interesting design direction. it's a lot more brown and less purple than the current notes. i'm not sure i like the plainish font they used in the lettering on the reverse. designwise, i don't think i like the caption for pin manufacturing either.

the new front hologram looks to be a strip made up of four ovals, two of which look like the same side portrait of adams from the reverse. plain-looking, in my opinion. it's not as regal or ornate as brittania seated within a flourished crowned seal on the current note. i reeeally like that hologram. these...not so much.

with the prevalence of brown and the geometric design...my initial first impression of the new note was that it reminds me a lot of the jordanian 50 dinars.

brit-vi.jpg

jord-vi.jpg

so far, i'm hoping they look better in hand than they do on the internet!

I think they are supposed to be purple & mauve more than brown, I think it's just a bad resolution on the image.

I agree the text looks plain but I like the fact they have acutally changed the design, the current £5, £10 & £20 notes were just an update of the previous set, infact they are known as Series E (Revision) on the Bank of England's own website.

I think the holograms go: Adam Smith , Brittannia, Adam Smith, Brittannia, although it's very hard to tell, I couldn't see them dropping Brittania altogether.

Anyway not long to go for them to come out now.

BTW, how long will the current £20s remain as legal tender? I rather not start my trip (next year maybe?) by visiting the BoE to trade my notes for new ones.

From the Bank Of England Website

When introduced, the new £20 note will circulate alongside the current Elgar £20 which will then be progressively withdrawn from circulation. The date when its legal tender status ends will then be announced, as is usual practice. As with all Bank of England notes, they can always be exchanged for their face value at the Bank of England.

If I hear anything I'll let you know :ninja:

do you know when the they unveil the designs for the other notes, or if there's a certain design theme for the new series?

i hope they finally come out with a new fifty. heheh...the u.s. is redesigning everything but the smallest notes, and the bank of england is redesigning everything but their biggest! :ninja:

do you know when the they unveil the designs for the other notes, or if there's a certain design theme for the new series?

i hope they finally come out with a new fifty. heheh...the u.s. is redesigning everything but the smallest notes, and the bank of england is redesigning everything but their biggest! :ninja:

Hard to say really, the £20's were changed due to the amount of forged notes that were going back to the BoE every year something between 50,000-500,000 odd recieved back every year compared to 3,000-8,000 of £5, £10 & £50 notes.

The Series E revision were released as follows:

£20 - 1999

£10 - 2000

£5 - 2002

The £10 will probaby be next year but not sure about fivers, there has been talk for the last 5-10 years of replacing it with a coin (not in the same size as the crown coins though).

The £50 is due a refresh, it's been in circulation since 1994!

From the Bank Of England Website

When introduced, the new £20 note will circulate alongside the current Elgar £20 which will then be progressively withdrawn from circulation. The date when its legal tender status ends will then be announced, as is usual practice. As with all Bank of England notes, they can always be exchanged for their face value at the Bank of England.

If I hear anything I'll let you know :ninja:

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

NEWS UPDATE:

From the Bank Of England website:

News Release

Launch Date for the New ‘Adam Smith’

£20 Banknote

21 February 2007

The new-design £20 banknote from the Bank of England will begin being introduced into circulation from Tuesday 13 March.

Announcing the date, Andrew Bailey, the Bank’s Executive Director − Banking Services and Chief Cashier, said: “The introduction of the Adam Smith £20 from 13 March will be a major undertaking for us as the £20 denomination is by far the most common note in circulation. This means that the proportion of Adam Smith £20s will gradually increase over time. The note’s enhanced security features will play a key role in our continuing fight to prevent counterfeiting. Maintaining public confidence in our banknotes is paramount.”

He added: “We will not be releasing low-numbered notes at the launch. At a later date, I expect to make an announcement on how we will release these notes.”

Full details of the new note will be announced in a further news release for publication on 13 March.

I take it the low numbered ones refer to serial numbers & not the £5 & £10 notes, especially seeing as they are probably still in the design process

Fitting that a Scot will be on the most commonly used English banknote :ninja:

I know, I can't believe the fuss that has been kicked up about this, for years the Scots have slated the English for not including Scotland when talking about Britishness and then the moment they do, they don't like it ;)

I'm hoping that Isambard kingdom brunel appears on either the new £5/£10 notes when the eventually come out. I know he was only on the £2 coins last year but the Paddington arches would look great on a banknote

Oddly enough there have been a few crisp Elgar £20's coming out of cashpoints in the last week or so & all have the serial number prefix EE. I may be reading to much into this but could this be a special serial number as in End of Series E perhaps seeing as the current ones were the Series E mark 2 notes?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-6476085,00.html

If anyone in the UK can send me a 300 dpi scan of front and back of this note, I would greatly appreciate it.

There you go they're already on Ebay, not even 24hours

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-20-ENGLAND-BANKN...1QQcmdZViewItem

doh.jpg

:ninja: Well I'm suprised someone went down the bank & got that many already (there's a wad of them in one of the pictures)

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/newtwenty/index.htm

The above link has interesting information about the new notes, see the tour section.

They are, thankfully, a lot more purple that shown in the original image up above

Archived