CoinPeople.com

Scales for weighing coins

just carl

Somewhere on this or some forum I heard about a scale company called Top Line Digital Scales. I went to the web site, found a scale that does Grams, Ounces and a few other things. Accurate to 0.001 grams now a special for $97.97 w/ free shipping. I ordered one. A few days later it arrived in a box, no return address, no fragile stamp, no invoice, not much of anything. Inside was a scale in another box with a sheet of instructions about 7”x 3” for instructions. No writing as to where made, what it does, etc. Turned on scale, no ounces, grains instead.

I tried to weigh a 1981D Lincoln Cent. 10 attempts and 10 different answers. Followed instructions on recalibration. Ten more recalibrations and 10 more different answers. Began emailing, phone calling and faxing the company on Friday, Saturday and Monday morning. No answers. Called the credit card company and filed a protest and dispute against that company. Shortly after that I received an email from Top Line. They apologized for the delay and thanked me for catching the error of their add for that scale. They said to follow the web site instructions on how to send it back. There was none. More emails, phone calls and faxes. I print out all such things. Now up about 30 pages. Another message from them that they would send me an upgrade from the one I ordered all I had to do was return this one and contact the phone number below the new one and attached is the form that must accompany the item. I downloaded this form, made copies and now up to about 40 pages of just stuff. I called them again and the person that answered knew of the error and said I would have to pay another $97.97 for the upgraded one, pay for return postage and they would deduct the same amount from my credit card when the returned one is returned. I should continue to contact them for when that may be.

Per their web site returns postage is at the cost of the customer. This is regardless of whether they sent the wrong item, sent a damaged item or any reason at all. Again I emailed them, sent more faxes complaining that I sent it back and how should I know when it arrives. They said they will notify me via email. Then another email from them stated they have cancelled my order completely, I will have a credit on my credit card for the amount. I again bombarded them with emails and faxes asking what about my upgrade? Again their answer was to send me the name of another digital scale company and a cancellation of my order, no upgrade as noted. Now up to well into the 60 pages of documentation and no scale. One more email from them gave me the names of 3 more scale companies.

Summation is if this company makes errors, ships wrong or damaged merchandise, all you’ll get is an apology and only if your fight for one. If a customer wants to know how to return a product they must fight with these people for the proper form and address. To even receive an answer from them, you must contact your credit card company.

Buying from them is a risk.

Thanks for the warning !!! :ninja:

Summation is if this company makes errors, ships wrong or damaged merchandise, all you’ll get is an apology and only if your fight for one. If a customer wants to know how to return a product they must fight with these people for the proper form and address. To even receive an answer from them, you must contact your credit card company.

Buying from them is a risk.

Your credit card company is your only avenue at this point, just send the CC company all your documentation.

You can get a very good digital scale for weighing coins and precious metals in grams, troy ounces and pennyweights for about $40 from most jeweler's supply houses. There's probably one in your city. You may do well to sic your credit card company on those frauds and just go buy a scale from a jeweler's supply house.

Carl -

I'm probably the one who posted the link for Top Line digital scales - sorry you had a problem with them. I purchased a set from them some time ago and never had a problem - still don't. The scales work fine. But for whatever it's worth, I'll remember your experience.

Carl -

I'm probably the one who posted the link for Top Line digital scales - sorry you had a problem with them. I purchased a set from them some time ago and never had a problem - still don't. The scales work fine. But for whatever it's worth, I'll remember your experience.

I'm sure they have had many good products and satisfied customers. However, with the cost of thier products, no made in noted on their products and their return policy, it is just not worth the chance ordering from them. As many have noted there are numerous other companies that sell for much, much less and all similar products. I'm not an ebay person but I went there and found digital scales in the thousands. I should have just gone to a jewlry supply house in the area I guess.

I'm not really a person who likes to buy much more than books and, a while back, Beanie Babies over the internet. I like to see what I'm getting, but when I had about $20 in my Paypal account just sitting there, I decided to eBay a scale from oldwillknotscales (or something to that tune) - up to 50g and .01 accuracy for about $18 including shipping. Served its purpose; now my 1975- pennies album is full with my knowing which 1982's are zinc and which are copper.

Which reminds me, I need to start looking for 2007 everything...

Archived