CoinPeople.com

Poll: Coinage Metal

jlueke

Your Favorite Coinage Metal  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which metal or alloy do you find most attractive for coins?

• Platinum
    • Gold
    • Silver
    • Copper (Pure)
    • Bronze
    • Brass (including orichalcum)
    • Nickel
    • Copper-Nickel
    • Aluminium
    • Palladium
    • Iron
    • Steel
    • Electrum
    • German Silver
    • Zinc
    • Lead

Ahhh, you talk about metals and alloys ? ;) Super. ;)

For me, I think electrum is a great alloy because the first western coins were minted in this alloy and because of its coulour, a pale yellow. Then, I like gold* for its colour also (yellow is my favorite colour). Gold is a fascinating metal !

I was suprised when I saw the poll results, I was thinking gold was more popular.

But in numismatics, the most important is the diversity of all metals and alloys for coins, all of kind of patinates and colours, weights, hardness... It's fantastic. What would be numismatics and coins with only one metal ? It would be too boring. ;)

* : Sorry, I wrote "golf" ! :ninja:

• 1 year later...

What's the difference between copper and bronze (besides chemical makeup, I already know that)? I know pre-1982 cents are bronze, but what US coin is purely copper?

What's the difference between copper and bronze (besides chemical makeup, I already know that)? I know pre-1982 cents are bronze, but what US coin is purely copper?

None, to soft. That is why Zinc or Tin is usually added to make it stronger. Note that Brass is actually Copper, Tin & Zinc whereas Bronze is Copper, Tin and a large variety of other metals and even non metals. Some such additives for Bronze is Phosporus, Manganese, Aluminum, Silicon, etc. One of the reasons Cents (pennies) in the 40's and 50's were called Bronze. They were made from ammo shell casings and COULD contain other substances. Resmelting to purify was not economical.

I noticed the answer of Bronze for Rich and Warm. Not sure I agree. Old Bronze is rather messed up looking and coins are always cold to me at least.

Lots said Silver and for color, conductivity, reactivity and ring. Bells ring and are never or seldom made of silver. Why is conductivity and reactivity required in a coin?

Guess I'm just to old and practical. I went for Steel. Of course it would have to be a high grade of Stainless Steel so as not to be magnetic. Would retain it's color, no toning, no corroding, no tinting and those that like to paint on coins would find out it wouldn't stick. Big problem with the Delorian Car. It was only available in the color of Stainless Steel. No paint would stick to it.

Archived