1839 O Gold $2 1/2 is it real???

LostDutchman

1839 O Gold $2 1/2 is it real???  

10 members have voted

1. 1. 1839 O Gold $2 1/2 is it real???

• No
    • Yes
    • I don't know

I know a lot of people have trouble telling authentic gold from counterfeit gold.... simply because the feits are of much better quality then other counterfeited US coins.

here we have an super rare 1839 O US $2 1/2 gold piece. There were only just short of 18,000 of these minted. One would think that such a rare coin would be counterfeited... and they are.

so from the pictures I have provided I would you like to vote as to whether this coin is authentic or not. And for the sake of the group maybe discuss why you voted like you did... what you like or don't.

I want to make clear that I DO not own this coin...but it is in my possession.. that should not effect your reasoning.

I know the answer to if this coin is a real one or not and will reveal it at a later date... I think this might be a good tool to help learn about gold.... and hopefully we can save some of us from getting stuck. .

44s51ds.jpg

4786iqp.jpg

Without having it in hand, its tough to be certain but from the pics I'm 99% confident that the coin is genuine.

It closely matches the diagnostics for the High Date, Wide Fraction variety. (Breen-6152; McCloskey-A) On the high date, the 9 is close to the curl and is higher than the 3. Both the numerator and denominator are further away from the diagonal fraction bar than in the "close fraction" variety. The faint arrowheads and fraction are also a known attribute for late-die state examples of Breen-6152.

Also, on a less technical note, it just plain looks real. The lustre residing in the recesses is a classic trait for high AU Classic Head gold. The die clash in front of the Eagle's beak also adds a touch of authenticity. If this is a fake, I would be very surprised.

Not looking at any other 2 1/2 or really having any expertise.

Just wondering about the denticles on the reverse lower right side. Casting bubbles?

Edit: Just finished looking on line at one. I don't know if it is the picture, but the bottom section of the reverse also "looks" funny.

Not looking at any other 2 1/2 or really having any expertise.

Just wondering about the denticles on the reverse lower right side. Casting bubbles?

The denticles on both sides made me suspect too.

alright :ninja: This coin is %100 authentic... While this coin does have luster... some of the better fakes have it too... I have some more I am gonna post alone the same line... I have quite a collection of fakes and real gold. There are some real real good fakes out there.

yarrrr... not cool.

My false negative would have saved me money as opposed to thinking it was real and it turned out to be fake.

• 2 months later...

Archived