CoinPeople.com

The enigma goes on

geordie582

I've asked this before, but with lots of new members, I make no apology for doing it again!

Has anyone any ideas? (I've tried Mereaux, but I'm not convinced) :ninja:

Uk-1 Unknown

Bronze Thin flan scyphate "Cup" Coin. 17mm x 16mm

Crude head facing with Roman style armour? Possibly holding some sort of weapon. Looks very similar style to the Stephen silver penny on the cover of March 04 issue of Trenerry.

Patriarchal Cross similar to that seen on Viking coins of England (i.e. S993/998 q.v.) Possible pellets below & above. Other marks too worn to decipher.

Found:-Among a lot of uncleaned Roman metal detector finds purchased on E-bay. Well encrusted and possibly adhering to another coin.

Thoughts:- It may be a ‘touch piece’ or souvenir picked up by a much travelled Roman soldier before being posted to England

It has been suggested that it is a " Mereaux" or church token from Lorraine, but these are usually of lead and circular.

Unknown_1_o.jpg

Unknown_1_r.jpg

I believe it began life as a round piece, and got clipped into the octagonal shape later on, perhaps not much later though.

I have bought similar lots of penny clippings from 12th-13th century Britain and found so far unidentifiable varieties which suggest they may be continental imitations.

I still don't know!

You know there was alot of weird coinage issued in the Anarchy period. The question i have never actually asked is what was being issued in Normandy & Boulogne during the 1140s?

What of 12th century forgeries of the irregular issues of the Anarchy period. I wonder if the answer to this riddle may lie there?

The obverse does indeed appear to emulate a Norman design/Plantagenet design. So i think it'd be safe to narrow it down to the 12th/13th centuries. The reverse is strange though.

Ever thought about contacting the Fitzwilliam Museum on this one? I'm almost certain that they will know.

I did send a picture to the British Museum, last year, but they didn't reply. Maybe they thought it was a hoax. They identified an Edward Continental copy from Namur for me though. I also sent to the Coin News 'Coin Clinic' but they haven't attempted it yet. I live in hopes! I'll let you know if anything turns up.

By the way, The beast is bronze and syphate so doesn't sit well with Medieval England :ninja:

1.3 gms.

As I said:-

Found:-Among a lot of uncleaned Roman metal detector finds purchased on E-bay. Well encrusted and possibly adhering to another coin.

Here's the thing - After about three years thrashing about in this search, to give myself a base, I have decided on the following analysis. ;)

This is a commemorative Mark of King Arthur ( 465-505) to celebrate the victorious seige at Mount Badon (c.496). That is until proved different :ninja:

For doubters - the lack of a name on the coin is because the portrait was instantly recognised.

Archived