CoinPeople.com

Dollar Coins: Stop the presses

roaddevil

yes to $2 coin?or no?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should the paper dollar be eliminated? How about replacing the $2 bill with a coin?

• I like my paper fine, thanks anyway.
    • Not sure.
    • Yes, it is more efficient.

Critics are again blaming the women -- Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea.

Those dollar coins were introduced in 1979 and in 2000 but never really found acceptance by the public or business. It remains difficult to find vending machines that take or distribute the coins (except the Post Office).

The U.S. Mint is planning a series of presidential coins to change that. The new dollars will roll out a lot like the state quarters -- a few at a time -- and will be the kind of thing that ordinary Americans will want to collect.

But we need people spending dollars, not collecting them.

Moving to the dollar coin is a smart move. And, if properly circulated, they could save taxpayers some $500 million every year because coins last longer.

That's why Congress should order a stop to the printing of dollar bills. As long as the paper product is around, people will use it. It's easy to keep in your wallet with the rest of your currency. But as Canada and other nations have discovered, people will soon get accustomed to using dollar (or even two-dollar) coins.

Congress should stop insinuating that "gender" is the reason the dollar coins haven't caught on -- and eliminate at least one more paper product.

I believe that unless the paper dollar is eliminated, there will not be a great love for using the coin. Right now there are vending machines in the US that will accept only nickels dimes and quaters, but will also take in dollar bills. I've yet to see a vending machine that will take a dollar coin. I think it is because there is no reason to make one when everyone has paper dollars.

I have a lot of experience using the one and two (Loonie and Twonie) in Canada, and I found it to be very convenient. I would like to see it switch in the USA, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Critics are again blaming the women -- Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea.

Congress should stop insinuating that "gender" is the reason the dollar coins haven't caught on -- and eliminate at least one more paper product.

That's silly. Nobody blames the images of the women on the obverses for the failure of the dollar coins. The Ike dollar failed too. People simply don't want a base metal dollar coin. If it was such a great idea, one of the three base metal fiat dollar coins would have become popular.

Dollar notes are more convenient than dollar coins for business use and they always have been. If we're to have worthless, token money, it should at least be sensibly easy to handle. Dollar coins are an inconvenient addition to the range of coinage. If the denominations smaller than the quarter were eliminated maybe a dollar coin would make sense.

I dont think it should be eliminated...

BTW...think of the strip clubs!! Think of the problems created when you try to slip a coin dollar in the g-string!! It will be chaos!!

But seriously...though I love the coin and collect them, I see a need for paper dollars...I will use either if I get them...I think the fact is most people dont care and are fine with paper money...if you were to switch to coins, they would just switch and might not like it since paper is light and can fit in a wallet so well :ninja: Ithink most people want ease of use not pretty and shiny. Just an opinion

You should have had one more option. Get rid of the paper $1 in favor of the coin and mass produce the paper $2. This way Drusus can still use paper at his favorite nudie bar without forking over $5 bills.

You should have had one more option. Get rid of the paper $1 in favor of the coin and mass produce the paper $2. This way Drusus can still use paper at his favorite nudie bar without forking over $5 bills.

Maybe they could have little coin purses pasted on in selected regions. :ninja:

Maybe they could have little coin purses pasted on in selected regions. :ninja:

Only a female CoinPeep can get away with a comment like that. ;)

Having a stack of change in my pocket does not go well with me. When I get change at a store most of the time it does not even go in the pocket unless I have a long way to walk to my truck or a double arm full. It makes it to my center console. When I drop in to the local stop and rob in the morning before work I'll pull a couple quarters out for newspaper. (I don't use home delivery since I leave to early, before it would be delivered.)

Archived