CoinPeople.com

1727 grosh of Catherine I on eBay

RW Julian

Bob, theroretically, there are 3 possiblilities: ORIGINAL, NOVODEL, IMITATION.

An ORIGINAL should have the reticulated edge (and not the clumsy irregular screwdriver impressions shown. I know of no such edge in Russian numismatics). Further the 7s in the date are not the style of the time. Thirdly: Extemely rare coins are most often in extremely nice condition (having been spotted early, if issued at all). So in my opinion it's not an original.

A NOVODEL would have been a much more careful job than what we see. Here even more the impossibly poor edge speaks against a novodel. Thirdly, the condition is not a novodel's. I've never seen a novodel as worn as this item.

I find no argument against this item being an IMITATION. It is, however a seductive thing and would have been even more so had the seller not shown the edge. Unfortunately, not many eBay offers contain the edge. And not all sellers provide it upon request. Best, Sigi

A NOVODEL would have been a much more careful job than what we see. Here even more the impossibly poor edge speaks against a novodel. Thirdly, the condition is not a novodel's. I've never seen a novodel as worn as this item.<br>

Here is a novodel I used to have that is pretty worn, and it comes from the famous Klingert collection. I assume it was worn off back than on purpose, in order to sell it as original.

Here is a novodel I used to have that is pretty worn, and it comes from the famous Klingert collection. I assume it was worn off back than on purpose, in order to sell it as original.

Hello Igor,

Thanks for showing us the interesting novodel!

Bill

Archived