CoinPeople.com

10 kopeks 1796 Cipher Series on eBay

kisenish

Dear numismatic community,

I found an interesting coin to look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-KOPEEK-1796-VERY-RA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Although the seller declares this coin to be genuine, I don't like it. Is this coin only badly cleaned but genuine or you also think it's a fake? As to me, I find traces of overstriking, especially on the value side (laurel leaves) to be coarsely counterfeited (almost carved into the coin) :ninja:

Greetings ;)

Thanks for your replies!

I also think that is a fake, just the seller confused me by declaring this coin to be genuine, however it is not unusual on eBay now :ninja: Cipher series is a dream for my collection, but I could not see any coins on the sales for a long-long time (except for novodels), but even if they would appear, the prices would be extremely high.

Kisenish, Cipher series wouldn't be TOO expensive if you don't mind the overstruck examples of 1793 (or probably the 1794 if you are lucky?). In fact, I have given up and decided to look out for those.

Of course it would be nice to have a nice set of the Cipher series, but I personally don't think I will be able to afford it any day. :ninja:

I must also agree that the overstruck feature is a bit unusual. The underlying image itself is not something that I know of, as well as not the usual way of how it is struck.

By the way Kisenish, would you by ANY chance have the 1724 1 year type kopek?

Kisenish, Cipher series wouldn't be TOO expensive if you don't mind the overstruck examples of 1793 (or probably the 1794 if you are lucky?). In fact, I have given up and decided to look out for those.

Of course it would be nice to have a nice set of the Cipher series, but I personally don't think I will be able to afford it any day. :ninja:

I must also agree that the overstruck feature is a bit unusual. The underlying image itself is not something that I know of, as well as not the usual way of how it is struck.

By the way Kisenish, would you by ANY chance have the 1724 1 year type kopek?

Hi gxseries,

You're right, it's practically not possible to even see some of the cipher series examples ;) Instead of them, I have a nice collections of 1793 overstrucks, around 7-8 pieces. I like them, since there are all unique, one cannot find two exactly the same pieces ;)

1724 1 year type kopek is my another big dream ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Dear numismatic community,

I found an interesting coin to look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-KOPEEK-1796-VERY-RA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Although the seller declares this coin to be genuine, I don't like it. Is this coin only badly cleaned but genuine or you also think it's a fake? As to me, I find traces of overstriking, especially on the value side (laurel leaves) to be coarsely counterfeited (almost carved into the coin)

Greetings

After seeing the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320017303007

I think it can now be safely assumed that both pieces are bad. It also seems likely that the two sellers are the same person. What are the odds of the same person in Ireland having virtually identical coins (from the same dies) for sale on eBay at about the same time?

RWJ

After seeing the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320017303007

I think it can now be safely assumed that both pieces are bad. It also seems likely that the two sellers are the same person. What are the odds of the same person in Ireland having virtually identical coins (from the same dies) for sale on eBay at about the same time?

RWJ

Both coins are crude fakes. Makers of these "items" use acids and other chemicals and techniques to speed up corrosion and make "coins" look old and natural.

WCO

Archived