CoinPeople.com

Which toning do you prefer?

thedeadpoint

Many copper/cent collectors favor red toning over brown. However, I think some coins look much better in brown than in red. So, I have to ask these questions to you:

Which colors do you prefer?

Which coins look better in brown and which in red?

And for the fun of it, post the coin in your collection which you think has the best tonight, regardless of grade.

I'll post one of mine once I get them online soon.

Lincoln cents look best in a bronze type of color to me. These super bright red/orange ones don't do it for me. The older Lincolns (like my 1909 VDB) are what I love.

Large cents look really good in a red/brown coloration. Gives it more of a "real" look.

I like to see "aged" mint red in IHC's and wheatback Lincolns - you know, a somewhat warmer tone that the "fresh from the mint" look.

But for Large Cents, I prefer 'em brown. I've seen some full red LC's but they just don't appeal to me, I guess, though lots of collectors love 'em.

Here's my favorite "tomed" LC ...

1851LC1.jpg

1851LC2.jpg

I know that's not exactly what you meant, but I just love the multitude of colors on this one :ninja:

• 1 month later...

Gee whiz.. those are all some good looking cents. Scottishmoney's last LC and TommyD's IHC were especially gorgeous.

Does anyone have a large cent that still retains and orange/red toning?

How about any other copper denominations?

• 4 weeks later...

hmm i preffer dark red then brown but i dont really care as long as i can read wats written an that it has no wear. oh and as for the guy who likes rich orange red i have a 1917-S shiney orange wheat cent i got for free, do u think its good or not that its old but still shiney?.like is it worth more?

Well Roaddevil it could be good or bad the coin is still shiney. This means one of two things:

1) The coin has seen little to no circulation. Making it a more valuable coin.

2) It has been cleaned. This reduces the value.

More than likely I bet your coin is just an uncirculated to lightly circulated coin. A picture would be nice. Try to keep it in a 2x2 or air tite to preserve the grade and color.

Yo, Scottishmoney ... I love that '94 :ninja:;) ;)

Archived