CoinPeople.com

Two new ones I know nothing about!

Vfox

25qvdiv.jpg

Federal Republic Of Germany (former West-Germany)

5 Mark

Minted in Hamburg (J)

Weight 11.2 g.

Composition 0.6250 Silver (.2250 oz. ASW)

Krause 2004 prices: VF $4 | XF $15 | UNC $60

25qvdog.jpg

Great Britain

Ruler George II or III (my krause doesn't go back that far, and my book on GB coins only lists silver coins)

Denomination penny, half penny or farthing, depends on the size, what's the diameter in mm?

5 Mark

Krause 2004 prices: VF $4 | XF $15 | UNC $60

That coin was very common, and in that condition it is probably not worth much. At a Bundesbank branch office you would get €2.56 for it - and I doubt that a dealer would give you more ...

Christian

Thanks for the info guys, the 5 mark I was given, and i really like the design so value wasn't all that important to me really. The penny/half penny (it's around the size of a half dollar) I knew basically nothing about and got it for $0.75 so I basically just wanted to know a little background on it. I love those old worn copper cuds. Thanks guys!

the 5 mark I was given, and i really like the design so value wasn't all that important to me really

Yes, I like the way the text is in two circles. But while the eagle looks great with just that bird and nothing else on that side, the other side is a little too verbose that way. (IMO, YMMV ... :ninja: ) That type, designed by Albert Holl, was minted between 1951 and 1974. It was in circulation between May 1952 and July 1975.

Christian

I really like the plain eagle reverse, it reminds me of a medal, and is very similar in appearance (to me at least) of the postdam church reichmark. Also, a lettered edge is always a plus! :ninja:

It was in circulation between May 1952 and July 1975.

Christian

Were these demonetised after July 1975? I know I got and spent 10DM commems from the 1972 Olympics, and whilst the store clerks thought I was a fool for spending them, they greatfully accepted them.

Were these demonetised after July 1975?  I know I got and spent 10DM commems from the 1972 Olympics, and whilst the store clerks thought I was a fool for spending them, they greatfully accepted them.

As I know when the last 5 D-Mark commem silver coin were issued (in 1979?) the silver content was in value of 7 DM on it, so the Germans remelted the coins and then emmited others from magnimat (light magnetic alloy). Maybe from 1975 the value of silver content was equal or over the face value...

Were these demonetised after July 1975?

Well, they were taken out of circulation, ie. on 1 August '75 they ceased to be legal tender. Of course you can still get "current" cash for such pieces, which is why I wrote that coin is worth at least €2.56. :ninja:

Christian

As I know when the last 5 D-Mark commem silver coin were issued (in 1979?) the silver content was in value of 7 DM on it, so the Germans remelted the coins and then emmited others from magnimat (light magnetic alloy). Maybe from 1975 the value of silver content was equal or over the face value...

Right. The 5 DM silver circulation coins were replaced by their Magnimat (CuNi "sandwich") equivalents in 1975. Commemoratives first continued to be silver, but in 1979 that became too expensive - the '79 Otto Hahn silver coin was not issued, then melted down, then (in Sep-1980!) issued as a Magnimat coin.

Many collectors, however, preferred silver. So as from 1987 the commems had a face value of 10 DM (like the 1972 Olympics series) and could be made of silver again.

Christian

Archived