CoinPeople.com

Soliciting opinions on buying gold

Fjord

With my current goal of completing an eye-catching U.S. Type Set winding down, my thoughts turn to my next collecting project. Many ideas float through my addled brain*, but my thoughts keep drifting to gold coins.

Why? well...

There is of course the gold coins that belong in any U.S. type set. Gold is a striking coinage metal, and there are some stunning designs from ancient times to present.

There is also the alarming fact that despite years of monetarists in the fed jacking up interest rates the money supply is growing. See this news story for details.

Add to this the high cost of energy, continuing war in many places, and (in my opinion) horrible spending policies on the part of our government. There's some economic reasons to think about gold as it's a good store of value when inflation devours your currency.

But what gold to purchase, exactly? I could easily afford a 1/10 oz. golden eagle every other paycheck and slowly build up a reserve. But is that really interesting?

Of course not! Far more interesting to collect coins with both intrinsic and numismatic value. There are a few obvious coins worth saving up for. The St. Gaudens Double Eagle is on the list. Mexico has some beautiful gold coinage. Maybe an English Sovereign or three.

But this is a request for ideas, not a soliloquy. What gold coins would you buy? what's your favorite?

* for example, I never finished collecting all of the Ike silver dollars in MS grade, nor have I collected all of the foreign mint and proof sets that have caught my eye over the years. Certainly completing a collection early commemorative halves would be a rewarding (and costly) educational venture, but none seem to really excite me as they once did.

Early US five-libs, $5 No Motto Liberties, "Coronet" 1839-1866: numismatic, yes, but close to bullion.

Or, for that matter, Byzantine gold, the common gold SOLIDUS coins that were paid as tribute to barbarians and that sell today for about twice bullion.

Phocas, 602-610 AD, Gold Solidus with Angel

Gold solidus of 4.41 gm, 22 mm. Bust of Focas facing, holding gl. cross. R: Angel stands holding long staff surmounted by Chi-Rho, and gl. cross. Berk 101. Slight weak strike on one edge. Extremely Fine  $250

http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/amphoracoins...uct=872&large=0

or perhaps

VF/VF Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine AV Solidus / Cross potent

Attribution: Sear Byz 851

Date: 610-641 AD

Obverse: Crowned and robed busts facing

Reverse: VICTORIA AVGG, Cross potent

Size: 20.48 mm

Weight: 4.4 grams

Description: A nice solidus with clear strike and large flan. Reverse graffiti ROMA

$287

http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/ancientimpor...t=11455&large=0

You see the point.

As for "a sovereign or three" -- a passionate collector might chase those die numbers... certainly, you would need one from each mint...

I agree that a "collection" (so-called) of tenth eagles is not going to float anyone's boat... except, of course... as there must be (MUST be) differences among them -- and if no one has studied them with a collector's eye, then who would know... Maybe that collection of tenth eagles is not to be denigrated after all...

this is my newest, one i've look for for quite some time. Modern yes, but scarce; the mintage was only 1989 pieces in 1989. I've long admired the 1839 5 Sovereign 'Una and the Lion', but being produced in low mintage and in proof only, makes them over $20k when they come up for auction. This 2 Sovereign is the same exact design, and is beyond stunning in hand. Gold is certainly beautiful, and the historical aspects of the coins and their designs is what interests me! Personally, I would venture out in the Sovereign series. This is a true historical gold coin run, and they trade at a modest amount above melt for AU slider pieces.

Doug

PS: please excuse the scratches on the slab, i need to pay the $5 and have it re-slabbed as the scratches are in a bad location.

ff_1_b.JPG

6e_1.JPG

c4_1.JPG

Gold coins really seem to fall on the back burner when it comes to my typeset, mainly because of the costs. But, I've decided to put together a liberty, and indian head type set, as well as get a saint to toss in. Basically I need the 1, 2 1/2, and 20 liberty, a 1,5,10 indian, and a saint to complete this...that leaves me with what? A indian 2 1/2 and a 5 and 10 liberty in my collection....I have a whiles to go lol. With the amount of money I have to spend on coins this will take quite a while, a few years at least, especially because of school and my compulsion to other type coins while I'm attempting to save. (hence the reason I'm only 3/4ths of the way for a nice $20 liberty lol) As for investment, take a look at the old classic head 2 1/2 or $5 liberty. http://cgi.ebay.com/1834-2-50-Classic-Head...1QQcmdZViewItem (obviously this guys grades and prices are somewhat inflated) But what I'm getting at is, a nice quality, old style coin like this, costs just a slight premium over its later design counterpart, has a very low mintage in comparison, and is just relatively uncommon in most type collections. It would be something to look into if youre looking for both investment and having a striking gold coin in your collection.

But this is a request for ideas, not a soliloquy.  What gold coins would you buy? what's your favorite? 

Most who know me already know this - the Netherlands ducat. The design was first struck in 1586, has been continuously struck since and is still being struck today. The only coin with a longer duration was the Venetian ducat. And they are not all that expensive :ninja:

What gold coins rekindle my dormant love of gold? I have to say only two things really really work for me these days;

1) Medieval gold nobles and their divisions.

2) Gold denarii. (Preferably from the Julio-Claudian dynasty)

That's about it.

If I ever get around to it for modern coinage I would go after the common bullion coins of the "Great Powers" of the 19th and 20th centuries. Back then governments from the United States to Asia thought it worthwhile to base their currency on precious metals. That notion seems quaint in our educated times but it does make for an interesting collection.

Liberties, Roosters, Angels, 20 marks, Sovereigns, Coronas can all be had at melt and make an interesting assortment of historical powers.

If I ever get around to it for modern coinage I would go after the common bullion coins of the "Great Powers" of the 19th and 20th centuries.  Back then governments from the United States to Asia thought it worthwhile to base their currency on precious metals.  That notion seems quaint in our educated times but it does make for an interesting collection.

Liberties, Roosters, Angels, 20 marks, Sovereigns, Coronas can all be had at melt and make an interesting assortment of historical powers.

You can add Swiss Vrenelli's, Napoleon III and the laureate version,

The Belgian kings 20 Fr Leopold II and Albert and Baudewijn , the Dutch 10 Florins, the Frans Joseph 4 Ducats, the mexican 50 and 20 pesos, the austrian 100 kronen an occasional Umberto I 20 Lire , Hongarian 8 forints and several South American coins like Chile and Peru :ninja:

You can add Swiss Vrenelli's, Napoleon III and the laureate version,

The Belgian kings 20 Fr Leopold II and Albert and Baudewijn , the Dutch 10 Florins, the Frans Joseph 4 Ducats, the mexican 50 and 20 pesos, the austrian 100 kronen an occasional Umberto I 20 Lire , Hongarian 8 forints and several South American coins like Chile and Peru  :ninja:

Yes! It is easy and relatively inexpensive to put together an interesting, if not rare, collection of gold.

The intresting thing is when you find out you did not buy a restrike at goldprice

but an original :lol:

Or when you happen to have the first year of Krugerrands or Pandas

Or when you find out the 1997 young queen 10 florin is really a MS66 :ninja:

I don't get a picture there, only some (to me unreadable) text.

20 lei 1883 (1884), 1890  

20 lei 1883                                                                       
21 mm diametru, 6.452 g, aur 90%, cupru 10%
Pe muchie: PATRIA SI DREPTUL MEU                                     
valoarea nominală 20 LEI, anul 1883, stema României, litera B şi spic de grîu     
20 lei 1890

20 lei 1883
inscripţia CAROL I REGE AL ROMANIEI şi efigia regelui spre stînga. Sub gît este scris 
numele gravorului, KULLRICH.
20 lei 1890  

Tirajele acestor monede de aur sînt următoarele: 150.000 în 1883, 35.290 în 1884 şi 196.000 în 1890. Monedele bătute în 1884 poartă anul 1883.

Imaginile monedei de aur din 1883 este prezentă pe site prin amabilitatea domnului Alex Lazarovici.

Imaginile monedei din 1890 sînt prezente pe site prin amabilitatea domnului Lazăr Florin.

[Edit]OK, I do get pictures in Internet Exploder, not in Firefox[/Edit]

But this is a request for ideas, not a soliloquy.  What gold coins would you buy? what's your favorite? 

I only have one gold coin, a 1912 Dutch 10 gulden.

I'm not really into gold coins, but if I would expand there, it would be in Dutch 10 gulden coins, initially by type, later by year.

Russian gold is beautiful. Designs are quite simple and very stylish.

On my list of "gold coins I want to get soon" are:

5 Roubles, Alexander III

7 Roubles 50 Kopeks 1897

10 Roubles 1899, 1902/1904

Perhaps a finnish 20 Markkaa, if I find one.

"To get soon" means about a year or two :ninja:

Russian gold is beautiful. Designs are quite simple and very stylish.

On my list of "gold coins I want to get soon" are:

5 Roubles, Alexander III

7 Roubles 50 Kopeks 1897

10 Roubles 1899, 1902/1904

Perhaps a finnish 20 Markkaa, if I find one.

"To get soon" means about a year or two :ninja:

unfortunately I have not seen any of those close to goldprice :lol:

Archived