CoinPeople.com

Type set updates

Dan769

Awhile back there was a nice run of U.S. Type set talk. Where is everyone stand on completeing their sets? I just scooped up 3 more coins this past week which leaves me 83% complete.

Still needed are:

All half cents

Draped Bust & Classic Head Cents

Capped Bust Half Dime

Seated Half Dime 1860-1873

Capped Bust Dime

Capped Bust Half Dollar Reeded Edge

Both Seated Dollars $$$$$$$$$$

Trade Dollar

I'm not concerned about filling the Commemorative Half Dollar slots.

How about some updates from everyone else.

Based on my NGC type set, I am 31% completed now.

NGC USA Type Set

Nice set Jeff. I like the registry thing and think it's a great deal for the folks who have sets that are slabbed. :ninja:

Thanks for the kind words guys. One of the challenges of the slabbed set is the modern coins. For people like me it just seems like a waste to spend the money for an Ike dollar or Sacagawea to be slabbed. For others I know it's a much bigger deal chasing after MS-70s and such, but for me, I know I have these coins sitting in a dansco, so I don't worry as much about it (though I will pick up a slabbed example for a type set if I happen on a bargain!). The real advantages are two as I see them, first the set is far more detailed than a Dansco 7070, including pretty much every type, and also for me at least it's nice to buy slabbed coins for the earlier issues. I am not much of an expert on Liberty Seated coins, or three cent silvers, or almost any copper coins, so being able to buy these coins slabbed gives you a bit of peace of mind. And of course it's nice that when you are buying the older coins the price difference between slabbed and raw narrows considerably as a percentage of total cost. As an example, a nice unc. SBA $1 might cost $2 or $3, where my MS-65 in the slab cost I think $10, so that's a premium of 333% to 500% over raw! Compare that to say the 1870 half dime I recently bought. I paid $169 for it slabbed, but the same coin raw might still cost $140 or $150, so the premium is between 12.7% and 20.7%, which is much easier to swallow!

Of course I haven't been doing much with this set over the last few years, but since my Saint Set is down to just one more common date, I have a feeling this one might be getting most of my attention in the future!

It's a solid plan Jeff, and one that I would follow building a high end set like yours.

I've cracked a few coins to put in my F to AU set, I first I was like , what am doing, what if I want to resell, etc....

Then I said screw it, got out the bolt cutters, and turned em loose. Quite exhilirating, I must say.

Congrats Becky!! Any Full album pics? Those are always fun to look at.

As for upgrading, part of the reason I'm not finished yet is that I am upgrading as I go. Not intentionally, but if I'm at a show or checking a web site and I see something looking sharp,I grab it. At this rate I'll never really "finish"

I kind of went in a different direction with my US Type Set. I cut mine off at 1933 simply as a personal preference (I don't have to deal with the modern issues that way) and I also decided to exclude the minor type variations. This allowed me to reduce the overall size of the set to something more manageable.

Here's what I have so far. Its an NGC non-competetive set I custom designed:

US Type Set

Ok gpnyc, that is one of the nicest, most detailed type sets I have ever seen. My hats off to you on outstanding coin selecting, just beautiful.

One question, why so many proof coins as to the Mint state counterparts? This is the first type set that I have seen someone do this.

GP, I remember when you were putting that signature set together, and it's an amazing achievement. I said at the time that I wanted to do a similar set, but there were system problems at the time and I just let it get away from me. Perhaps this summer I might try again, as there are a lot of coins in the canned set that I just have no intention of ever purchasing!

Ok gpnyc, that is one of the nicest, most detailed type sets I have ever seen. My hats off to you on outstanding coin selecting, just beautiful.

One question, why so many proof coins as to the Mint state counterparts? This is the first type set that I have seen someone do this.

Thanks for the compliments. As to the question of proofs, its really just a matter of preference and I see no reason to limit myself to circulation strikes. Where I can, I go for eye appeal and if the coin happens to be a proof, so be it.

I also feel there is a huge upside to 19th century US proofs. There were so few of them made that just a little extra collector interest can have a large impact in value. I currently have a 19th C. proof coin on lay-away with an original mintage of 136 and perhaps 40-50 survivors. Can't argue with those numbers!

GP, I remember when you were putting that signature set together, and it's an amazing achievement.  I said at the time that I wanted to do a similar set, but there were system problems at the time and I just let it get away from me.  Perhaps this summer I might try again, as there are a lot of coins in the canned set that I just have no intention of ever purchasing!

You said a mouthful, especially about coins you have no intention of ever purchasing. At one point, I had the NGC canned US Type Set at 99% complete, just missing the Gobrecht $. Then, while viewing my collection, I realized that there were certain coins I never bothered to pull out and look at. That set things in motion: I decided to pare down the collection significantly to focus on coins that really interest me. The result is the set I linked in this thread. By no means is it complete - I plan on adding some more stuff like certain relevant Medals (1876 Centennial, etc) just to add some interest.

As for the NGC software, it can be slow at times but its much less "buggy" than it was in the beginning so you may find it easier to work with this time.

The gpnyc set is outstanding! Congratulations on a wonderful collection. :ninja:

Thanks! I guess 25 years of collecting is starting to turn into something worth looking at!

Thanks for the compliments.  As to the question of proofs, its really just a matter of preference and I see no reason to limit myself to circulation strikes.  Where I can, I go for eye appeal and if the coin happens to be a proof, so be it. 

I also feel there is a huge upside to 19th century US proofs.  There were so few of them made that just a little extra collector interest can have a large impact in value.  I currently have a 19th C. proof coin on lay-away with an original mintage of 136 and perhaps 40-50 survivors.  Can't argue with those numbers!

I agree with you on 19th century proofs. The price/ mintage/survivor ratio cannot be beat. I just wish I could afford them.

That may be an interseting set to do in the future, 19th century proof by type.

Let me add my cheers for a well done set. I like the proofs. My first thought, as well, was why mix and match. But, I like your philosophy and the set is pleasing to look at. Even the low grade early pieces are nicely matched in that they show the type image well and add character to balance the detail of the proofs. I can imagine you would upgrade those if cost was not a factor (maybe its not), but they set nicely builds in preservation from oldest to youngest. Beautiful set.

I don't have any whole album pics, just individual coins. I have trouble getting the whole page to look right in my pics. But I do have a quick scan of the 1871 Seated dollar that will fill that last hole in about 1 minute :ninja:

img193.jpg

img194.jpg

Nice dollar Becky! Those 2 seated dollars or the early large cents will be the last coins to get for my set. Just hard to find decent, reasonable priced seated dollars. I may wait for the FUN show in January where I should have a lot to choose from.

I agree about full page pics, my never come out right either.

I'm curious, what do most of you actually include in your type sets? I've been slowly building a typeset for all US coins, including all variations including mottos, arrows & rays, arrows, stars/no stars, rim, size and so on. I am not including gold coins in this, as I in no way have the funds for that right now lol. But I feel any major die change merits another spot in the set. I think it makes for a more unified set of the coins entire run. How about you guys?

I'm with you, Vfox, with the difference that I add mint marks to the list too

To be honest, I add mint marks into account as well lol. Some are harder than others to aquire, but I think it's a little less important than say motto/no motto, but should be included none-the-less. With all these differences....I'd say I'm somewhere around 35% complete lol. Seriously though, pre heraldic eagle draped busts and flowing hair coins are nearly impossible to get at a good price, those will probably be last on my list....which will be harder to get as time goes on sadly. :lol: Stupid school bills lol. :ninja:

I took the Dansco 7070 Album and am trying to finish that. As Vfox stated I'm avoiding the gold right now for fiscal reasons, but hopefully some day.

I'm also trying to do slightly better dates/mintmarks when feasable.

Archived