CoinPeople.com

How and When did you get into World coins?

Ætheling

i first moved to bahrain when i was five, and i've been hopping around the world ever since. my first collection items were more like leftover fieldtrip money, and eventually went on to include leftover vacation money (which i pilfered from my parents/siblings). by 1994, i lost all interest completely and basically forgot about coins altogether. but as i was leaving korea in '98 (for the first time), i noticed a small dealer set up in my hotel lobby. what better souvenir than having a couple sets of north korean specimen notes? i've been a strictly-paper kinda guy ever since. :ninja:

but as i was leaving korea in '98 (for the first time), i noticed a small dealer set up in my hotel lobby. what better souvenir than having a couple sets of north korean specimen notes? i've been a strictly-paper kinda guy ever since.  :ninja:

Ah, but paper has no heft. No weight. No clink when dropped into a pile of like items. Oh to be sure paper is wonderful in its own right, fabulous designs and colors and watermark tricks. Love paper myself. But it is the coins with their size and weight as you cup them in your palm that keeps me going after the precious metals.

No clink when dropped into a pile of like items.

heheh...that's the problem, they all look the same! to me, an album full of morgans looks like the same thing over and over with maybe a different mintmark here and there. i don't find that very exciting. every one of my notes are of a different design, and the lack of heft and weight means i can store them more easily in a very small space. i have about a thousand notes in my collection so far...and if they were all coins, that would be around a hundred pounds! heheh, the coin albums alone must take up a library shelf worth of space. :ninja:

i'm really quite impressed with a lot of the gold coin designs i've seen...but that's currently out of my budget range. the only coins i can afford to actively collect right now would be modern cheaper stuff with less than extravagant designs.

Not a paper fan sadly, not enough uniformity and sameness of design, too colorful too. Sombre dark colors are good, bright abstract modern looking note designs, not too intriguing. US notes are the preferred here, simply because they are in a word old fashioned, old fashioned is good.

heheh...that's the problem, they all look the same! to me, an album full of morgans looks like the same thing over and over with maybe a different mintmark here and there. i don't find that very exciting.

I could not agree more there. And you even picked a series that I do not care for. Kennedy halves are another example of when you see a complete, or near complete collection, it is damn boring.

every one of my notes are of a different design, and the lack of heft and weight means i can store them more easily in a very small space. i have about a thousand notes in my collection so far...and if they were all coins, that would be around a hundred pounds!

Again you do make a good point. Coins do weigh, and they take up space. And if you have been reading the album threads here, you know there are dozens of different ways to try and display these coins, none of them really good in my humble opinion.

heheh, the coin albums alone must take up a library shelf worth of space.  :ninja:

i'm really quite impressed with a lot of the gold coin designs i've seen...but that's currently out of my budget range. the only coins i can afford to actively collect right now would be modern cheaper stuff with less than extravagant designs.

Ah yes, the shiny yellow coins. Those that have any weight to them come with a really high price tag. I agree with what you said about notes, notes are cool and have great artwork on them. But I keep coming back to that 1632 Austrian thaler, with over an ounce of silver, and hold that weight in my palm, and wonder who in history has also held that precious metal disk. Hard to find 370 year old paper notes to hold. ;)

Started in the mid-70s with the occasional pause. My wife got me going on Napoleonic era coins and medals when she told me flat out that the swords had to go!

I collected cents, nickels and dimes (silver) from my parents pocket change when I was 5 or 6 and later got some Mexican and Brazilian coins and notes from their friends. I knew of no way to get more so kept on collecting U.S. minors until I saw a Littleton Coins ad about 1967. After that 99% of my collecting was of world coins (& paper money) but I have kept my 'dusty' U.S. set as well.

My city was part of Austro-Hungarian empire until 1918. Today, Serbian and Hungarian borders are at 60 km. Easy to find here old Austro-Hungarian, Serbian, German coins. Ironically, was very hard to find many of regular romanian coins issued ante 1914, than key dates of Hungarian or Austrian coins...

I think the coins I got at swap meet the other day are Hungarian, I thought they looked interesting so I bought them for 50 cents. :ninja:

1967- 50 Filler

1963- 5 Filler

1961- 2 Forint

I guess I should reply to the posted subject :ninja: Got into world coins quite awhile ago when I got some from work. However wasn't much interested. Now the thing that interests me is the different designs each country will select, it can leave an impression on those from other countries as to the cultural importances and beliefs

of that country. A picture is worth a thousand words. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently became interested in foreign coins. I like the diversity of the coins and also in learning the history connected with the coins. The bimetal coins are very pretty. I am only interested in current circulating coins in uncirculated condition due to the cost. I give them to people and tell the a short history of the coin hoping that they will also become interested in the histories. Our world is shrinking each day and the different coins is a way to learn information of the countries.

Jerry Webb

jerrydwebb@aol.com

• 4 years later...

Still not into world coins! Not much catches my fancy except a few series here and there. I've seen few series that are as beautiful as the many beautiful US series!

I'm a homer!

I started collecting low denomination U.S. coins when I was 9 years old, then I started taking an interest in foreign coins in my early teens when my father gave me a can full of foreign pieces. Eventually I narrowed my focus to Eastern Europe and Russia. Currently, I've been focusing on coins from the medieval Balkan region, but I'll buy basically anything that captures my interest.

I can't believe this thread escaped me all of these years! I started collecting with the darkside. My dad and uncle both gave me small sets on my 10th birthday. I was fascinated with the coins of the orient (and still am). I prefer Japanese and Chinese coinage over any other, but am not so biased that I won't collect everything! :ninja:

My grandmother gave all us grandkids the new loonies ($1 Canadian coins) each year they came out, starting in 1987. From there I started collecting other Canadian coins. After that, relatives gave me world coins from their travels that they had saved, mostly from the 1960's and 70s. I still add to my modern world coins book each time I visit my dealer, out of the bulk bins. Searching for new ones reminds me of looking through my lego box as a kid, trying to find that precise piece I need!