CoinPeople.com

Lawmakers make push for new civil rights coin

akdrv

WASHINGTON – Images of a beaten and bloodied young black man from Troy, Ala., named John Lewis helped push President Lyndon Johnson and Congress to respond to the civil rights movement. Now a congressman from Georgia, Lewis wants to commemorate the movement with a limited-edition silver dollar marking the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act.

“I’d be one of the first people in line to buy one,” the Atlanta Democrat said.

Lewis has joined with Rep. Deborah Pryce of Ohio to introduce legislation calling for the U.S. Mint to produce 350,000 $1 coins marking the golden anniversary of the landmark law’s signing in 1964. Among other things, the law barred restaurants, hotels and other public places from denying service to blacks and outlawed employment discrimination against women and minorities.

http://www.timesreporter.com/index.php?ID=67853&r=0

My civil rights are being violated by these unending commemorative issues.

While the Civil Rights Act itself was noteworthy, I'm not sure it's 50th anniversary warrants a commemorative issue. Politics and coins should not mix!

I think such a commemorative is more deserved than some of the other ones out there.

Maybe on the 100th anniversary. When we start commemorating 50th anniversaries, then 25th anniversaries can't be too far behind.

You left out the 38th anniversary of the Korean war. :ninja:

ehhh.. i can actually see the relevance of that one. It's the Civil War 130th that sticks out in my mind most recently.

ehhh.. i can actually see the relevance of that one. It's the Civil War 130th that sticks out in my mind most recently.

The 38th anniversary is a bit of a stretch unless you want to draw in the 38th parallel. 50 Yrs would have been more appropriate. But wait, the war really isn't over yet only a truce.

lol re: the war not being over.

Yeah. The 38th parallel seems to be the only thing I ever hear about with regards to the war (besides my favorite M*A*S*H).

For those less aware of US History compared to SM and me, the Korean War was ended in an armistice in 1953 with the border between North Korea and South Korea drawn at the 38th Parallel. This number is seen throughout the history of the conflict. More people could probably name this number than name the years of the war. A 38th anniversary seems esoteric unless considered in this light.

If they wait for 100th John Lewis probably will not get to buy his coin.

Well that just breaks my heart... not.

Isn't John Lewis the guy that was going around spouting something about the ecology of the oceans being permanently changed because 200 million slaves were dumped overboard off of ships causing sharks to this day to follow ships around looking for snacks?

Archived