CoinPeople.com

1713 polpoltinnik - pretty neat!

gxseries

It is true, that in the first half of the 18th century many silver coins of a smaller nominal value were perforated. For some reason the most commonly perforated coins were the grivenniks. The use of coins in this way (binding them together) starts right away from the first silver coins of Peter I and continue to the reign of Anna, but after the 1740s coins were less frequently perforated.

It could be said, that the perforation has a certain historic meaning or at least explanation: from altyns to polupoltinniks it belongs to them as they have, according to V. Rzaev, served as decorations following a tradition known from the Volga territories a long time.

Still, museums and writers of books and catalogues try to picture a coin without a hole whenever it is possible. I quite agree with this, in my opinion just because the early 18th cent silver has this defect more often than coins from other periods it still does not make a coin with a hole more acceptable. In my collection there is not one coin with perforation (or loop, or remains of such). For me, a hole ruins a coin, I can´t avoid seeing it and I will not consider such a coin worth collecting even if it otherwise had survived in EF condition. Yes, if only perforated specimens are available of a certain rare coin, I`d prefer having a hole in my collection than a coin with a hole.

Yes, if only perforated specimens are available of a certain rare coin, I`d prefer having a hole in my collection than a coin with a hole.

I don't like holed coins either and I've never had any in my collection. I a way I envy our friend gxseries:

He has found a very rare coin at a bargain price AND HE IS HAPPY with what he's got :yes:

That's what our hobby is about.

....de gustibus non est disputandum....

Sigi

• 2 weeks later...

Archived