CoinPeople.com

1834 Column rouble or 1839 Borodino

DAJ

I am not even sure I have the correct names here, but...

Ok, rarity aside, would you select an 1834 in great condition (MS 62) or an 1839 (scratched with ANACS XF 45) in ok condition? Prices are high but similar.

Maybe there is not much of a decision to be made.

Does anyone own both? Ideas welcome! The coins are similar in design, but both are pretty rare.

Yes I own both of them, although I do think I have some issues with my Borodin Ruble. If you look at the history, the mintage of Borodin ruble is supposely higher than the Column ruble. (160,000 against 15,000). But because there was an order to reduce the number of Borodin rubles down to 20,000, there is no proper figure to indicate how much are left. Appearently, most catalogues would note that the Borodin ruble is a much rarer piece.

Personally, if you like the art piece, and considering the grade, I would be happy to own the Column ruble in MS62! The real beauty of the ruble is with Alexsander I's hair and the macro details of the Column, which did suprised me of what 19th century die masters were capable of.

But again, if you want something 'rarer', for some reason the Borodin ruble does not appear as often as the Column ruble.

Most definately it is up to you.

• 5 months later...
Yes I own both of them, although I do think I have some issues with my Borodin Ruble. If you look at the history, the mintage of Borodin ruble is supposely higher than the Column ruble. (160,000 against 15,000). But because there was an order to reduce the number of Borodin rubles down to 20,000, there is no proper figure to indicate how much are left. Appearently, most catalogues would note that the Borodin ruble is a much rarer piece.

Personally, if you like the art piece, and considering the grade, I would be happy to own the Column ruble in MS62! The real beauty of the ruble is with Alexsander I's hair and the macro details of the Column, which did suprised me of what 19th century die masters were capable of.

But again, if you want something 'rarer', for some reason the Borodin ruble does not appear as often as the Column ruble.

Most definately it is up to you.

Item number: 170052683323

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Russian-1Rub-Bo...1QQcmdZViewItem

Bear with me, but this is my favorite coin and want to be get the take of others on it, such as on potential grade, authenticity, whether it has been cleaned, NGC gradeable (yes, i like slabs) and the price.

Any comments welcome. It seems authentic Borodinos are becoming harder and harder to find. Thanks for any assistance.

Item number: 170052683323

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Russian-1Rub-Bo...1QQcmdZViewItem

Bear with me, but this is my favorite coin and want to be get the take of others on it, such as on potential grade, authenticity, whether it has been cleaned, NGC gradeable (yes, i like slabs) and the price.

Any comments welcome. It seems authentic Borodinos are becoming harder and harder to find. Thanks for any assistance.

Cleaned AU at most

Archived