CoinPeople.com

Rembrandt €5 commemorative

Trantor_3

From the commercial, it doesn't look too bad. I haven't seen it on TV yet (haven't seen much TV either)

I'll be heading to the post office today to pick up a bunch :ninja:

I hope to be able to post some pics tonight, but I can't guarantee (check general discussions for that...)

Okay, I've not paid attention to Dutch coins in some time. These are holographic? I watched the video and noticed how the image changes as the coin rotates. Your flat, static image shows the actual relief of the coin. I'm assuming its designed to catch the light and the full image emerge as it is viewed in the hand. Excuse my ignorance. Although I'm an "IT guy," I try to avoid new fnagled things (like faxing and pdas) until I have a use for them. I have a cell phone for work, but I've avoided one in my daily life so far (my wife and children more than make up for my resistance, so I'm not cheating the economy!). Interesting coins and I assume the image changes as you change the lighting.

The coins are not holographic, but it's true that the image can be seen better or worse from different angles, depending on how the light falls on it. There is just one image at each side.

That is sweet :ninja:

These are holographic?

This one is not (see T_3's reply) but the Dutch Mint has used a technology called "MultiView Minting" before. That is basically an extended version of a latent image. The "geboortemunt" (issued when Princess Catharina Amalia was born) http://www.geboortemunt.nl/Images/homepage/visualhome.jpg shows the mother, the baby or the father, depending on how you hold the coin. Not a hologram but interestingly done.

@T_3: Great pictures, thanks a lot! The coin design still looks a little strange to me, but it's better than a mere "photo" of the Queen or of Rembrandt's self portrait.

Christian

The design uses a photo of Queen beatrix at the obverse and a photo of a self portrait at the reverse. These are put on the coin as very little "dents" in similar patterns and news paper photographs.

The designer wanted a bit more in the design, something of "himself", so he added "embroidering stitches" to accent the details of the faces.

Christian, if you want to post my pics on that german forum, feel free to do so :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

The Rembrandt coin just arrived here - thank you very much! And yes, it is indeed better than what I had expected from seeing the pictures. The "stitches" design looks better on the reverse (Rembrandt portrait) than on the obverse (portrait of the queen), I think. But that also depends on how you hold the coin. All in all, a well done piece. :ninja:

Christian

• 3 weeks later...

Archived