CoinPeople.com

Rembrandt €5 commemorative

Trantor_3

The Koninklijke Nederlandse Munt (Royal Dutch Mint) has announced that the Rembrandt commemorative coins can now be ordered.

On July 15, 2006 it's exactly 400 years ago that Rembrandt van Rijn was born in Leiden. To honour this great master, the Koninklijke Nederlande Munt, ordered by the Dutch Finance Department, will strike a silver and a gold commemorative coin: the silver Rembrandt fiver and the gold Rembrandt tenner ( tenner??? :ninja: ) The Rembrrandt Coin, is, after the Australia Fiver, the second official commemorative coin of 2006. The Koninklijke Nederlandse Munt offers the silver and gold versions in proof quality. These coins will be available by the end of july, but can now be odered from the CoinShop (of the Royal Dutch Mint, T_3)

Design

The silver Rembrandt Fiver and the gold Rembrandt Tenner are designed by the artist Berend Strik. On the coin reverse of the coin a self portrait of Rembrandt is depicted. At the moment, the KNM doesn't have the definite design, the actual coin may differ. The obverse with the portrait of Queen Beatrix will be announced later.

Rembrandt_5_Euromunt_2006L.jpgRembrandt_10_Euromunt_2006L2.jpg

Specifications:          Rembrandt Fiver     Rembrandt Tenner
Composition:             Silver 925/1000     Gold 900/1000
Weight:                  11.9 gram           6.72 gram
Diameter:                29 mm               22.5 mm
Face Value:              5 euro              10 euro
Design:                  Berend Strik        Berend Strik
Mintage (Proof version)  35,000              8,500
Price (Proof version)    € 27.95             € 197.95

Although not mentioned, it's common that the silver coin will also be available in circulation quality, at face value at the dutch post offices. This will be at the end of July, the exact date is not yet known.

By that time I will head to the post office and get a stack of thse coins, for myself and for members here that are interested.

Please post in this thread if you're interested in one or more pieces of this coin.

Total cost will be $8.50 for one coin, in case of more coins depending on shipping cost.

Note The quality of the Australia Fiver turned out to be pretty poor, I'm still working on that, to get some better pieces.

I will do my best to get the best Rembrandt pieces available from the post office

An interesting coin. What was the cause of the poor quality on the Australian? Design? Handling? ?

At the moment, the KNM doesn't have the definite design, the actual coin may differ.

Good to know that. Judging from those images, the coin could look terrible or intriguing. :ninja:

BTW, "fiver" and "tenner" sound fine to me.

Christian

Not a single one to be found without scratches, nicks, dings, dents, and/or other damages :ninja:

i almost missed the nick on mine ... it *almost* fits in with the design ... it's just at the wrong angle :lol:

can you count me in for a rembrandt fiver?

On July 15, 2006 it's exactly 400 years ago that Rembrandt van Rijn was born in Leiden.

If I recall, Leiden makes good cheese...mmmmm...cheese...aaaaagghhhh...

The Australia design was interesting, as for quality, I hadn't noticed probably since our mint puts out such crap for unc. coins. I will say that I've never liked the outline image of the Queen. Even on the later guiders I have it looks just bad. The older ones of Juliana look so much better!

This coin looks to be very cool, and I am really looking forward to it! :ninja:

(are those little cardboard and plastic carriers safe for long-term storage, do you know?)

I don't know.

In my case it doesn't matter much, as I take the coin out and put it in a 2x2, to store the coin in my album, with the other coins of the same year.

One would expect the Mint to use coin safe materials for the holder....

• 2 weeks later...

Now we also know what the "final" design looks like ...

Rembrandt_munt_nws3.jpg

... and here is a larger view of the reverse:

Rembrandt_5EU_munt_2006L.jpg

That trimmed effect, used on either side ("Door zowel het portret van Koningin Beatrix als Rembrandt van borduursteken te voorzien, eert Strik de artistieke vrijheid"), is interesting but still a little difficult to imagine. Guess I will have to hold the coin in my hands to determine whether I like it or not. :ninja:

Christian

Interesting, but like you say it's hard to judge how it will look without seeing one in person. It could be good, or it could be frightening.

• 2 weeks later...

The Royal Dutch Mint currently has a phantasy coin on its Dutch home page. :ninja: A Rembrandt €2 commemorative that will never be minted ...

rembrandt5_632.jpg

And why? The latest issue of the Dutch coin magazine Muntkoerier had a picture of that "coin", right on the front page. But that piece is just a phantasy suggested by Fabrizio Annovi. In various euro coin forums you will come across "frizio" and his coin designs. Some of them are really pretty in my opinion, but apparently he does that for fun only.

01_767.jpg

Now the Dutch Mint apparently considered a clarification to be necessary: There will be no €2 Rembrandt coin, just the €5 and €10 pieces which are legal tender in NL only. But I think this is the first time that one of frizio's designs makes it to the front page of an official euro mint. :lol:

Christian

The Rembrant Commem can be obtained from the post offices at july 17 :ninja:

Are all the Dutch commems sold at post offices?

as long as I can remember, yes.

There's always a "circulation version" and a "collector version".

The circulation version is distributed through the post offices and can be obtained at face value, so in this case for € 5. These coins are struck in normal quality, not proof or proof-like.

The collector version is a proof and can be ordered directly at the mint and through dealers (who bought them at the mint). Those are not available at face value, but cost significantly more.

Archived