CoinPeople.com

Some new Russian coin lots

gxseries

Posted it a week ago in the "My New Purchase" section but didn't bother about them until now.

rusmaylot8fz.jpg

Nothing too fantastic here, maybe except the nice BU red coins (but only one out there is considered a BU-Aunc, the rest is probably a XF).

BUT, what is very interesting are the bottom three corroded, worned kopeks that instead wore my eyes out. :ninja:

1703 (?) Polushka

911548.jpg

Corroded but likely to be a 1703 polushka.

But what is unusual is about the reverse, or the text side:

1703polushka5ma.jpg

On why the text and design appears to be INTRUSTIVE instead of extrusive - I honestly have no idea ;)

1704 Denga

911547.jpg

Nothing unusual about it, but try to look for better grade Peter I early copper coins - they cost a fair bit these days ;)

And finally...

AN OVERSTRIKED COIN!!! This will complete the most basic set of overstriked copper coins minted in Russia.

Russia 1731 poluskha overstrike over 1728 Moscow kopeck!!!!

911549.jpg

Overstruck on this particular coin:

903395.jpg

That is all for this month I guess :cry: Check out next minth for some bomber coins :lol:

Nice coins! :ninja:

I've searched Russian coppers at lasts coin shows, but except for 5 kop Catherine II at very high prices, and some Siberian suspect coins, I do not see nothing interesting :lol:

Wow I love all the coins in the region of the former Soviet Union, I jst have a little trouble, Translating them some times, but to me all the coins resemble Might.

Wow I love all the coins in the region of the former Soviet Union, I jst have a little trouble, Translating them some times, but to me all the coins resemble Might.

Banivechi - I feel the same pain as you do. That is a good reason why I am not looking for good grades Russian coins - hoarding whatever I can within a reasonable price. :ninja:

Jim - feel free to post any questions here! That is why this forums exist! :lol:

Grivna, can you explain why the polushka that I have there seems to have an intrusive text? :cry:

Grivna, can you explain why the polushka that I have there seems to have an intrusive text? :ninja:

In short, no.

Is that the way the coin really is, or is it just the picture? Sometimes when I look at the picture of the polushka, the legend looks like it is incuse (below the surface of the coin) and other times it looks raised above the surface (in "relief"). Or maybe it just looks that way because that is what I expect to see.

If it really does appear to have incused legends, then maybe there is some buildup of corrosion around the lettering. There looks like a "silvery" appearance to the area surrounding the lettering. Maybe that isn't really there, but if it is, could it be that the coin was once silverplated and some traces of that remain around the letters?

Another great lot GX! Those 2kopeks are awesome :lol:

It's not so difficult to learn the cyrillic alphabet and the most common words. At the beginning they may look frightening, but then you get familiar with them and things start to work. Or just ask here :ninja:

Possibly the "incuse" stuff is the design of a coin that it was buried beside that's been grilled into the dirt/corrosion.

Good suggestion, but if that were the case, then shouldn't the legend (text) on the coin be a mirror image (as you would see in a brockage error)?

The legend on this one isn't a mirror image.

When I look at the picture, sometimes it looks incused and at other times it looks like it is in relief. I see what looks (at least to me on my monitor) like a silver-colored deposit on the coin around the legend. This coin should be only copper, so this might be just the camera not getting the color right.

Also, I can't think of any Russian coins using incused design until Alexander II's copper coins of the new design introduced in 1867.

Considering the somewhat crude dies and relatively primitive technology used to strike copper coins during the time of Peter I, I am doubtful whether such techniques were possible then. Maybe they could do it, but I'm skeptical.

Indeed, the implications of such is serious if this is to be true. I can't see how else it can be other than the text is struck inwards, which I believe is almost never done in the whole of Russian numismatics except during the last two eras of the Russian Imperial copper coinage.

This is the best photo I can get hold of at the moment - http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/9581/1703polushka17la.jpg

Indeed, it is puzzling... :ninja:

Also, I can't think of any Russian coins using incused design until Alexander II's copper coins of the new design introduced in 1867.

I should correct that statement. I forgot about the extremely rare pattern (7 zolotniks 18 dolas) Efimok of 1798 and similar lighter version (7 zolotniks) with edge expressing value in stuivers (Dutch money) which are struck partially in relief & partially incused.

These were never made for circulation and are the earliest Russian coins using incuse design that I know about.

• 1 month later...

Archived