CoinPeople.com

Unknown Coin

Hussulo

Hi can anyone help me with, this coin? It seems to be an obverse of a George V possibly Canadian or Australian, however the reverse is blank and smooth, is it a trial piece? Any ides?

Oh and I better add its 25mm wide and appears to be made out off brass? almost gold like?

Many thanks.

Yes its mine. My scanner is broken know and my digital camera isn't any good at closeup pictures. So I'm afraid this is the only picture i have got for the time being. The only other thing I can add is that the reverse (blank) is flat and really smooth.

Yeh I would love to, but I'v already contacted NGC to see if it was possible to get some of my coins graded but they didn't get back yo me? I don't know if its possible to get them graded from the United Kingdom?

it's just a plain edge.

That's helped eliminate a few possibilities. From the size you mentioned, the colouration, and the edge, it is probably one of these (easily mistaken for being gold By the way!). Hope that helps.

909678.jpg

By the way I can't seem to load up your original image. it appears to have been corrupted somehow (?)

Thanks Ian it is similar but it sais Dei Gra instead of D.G Britt and the portrait is closer to the edge with no writing below it.

I don't know what I was thinking about. The BWA is a milled edge anyway. Duh!!

I still can't get the thumbnails you present to resolve into images, however, the only coins I know of with that legend and the bust type are Canadian. None of them are brass or gold. The 1 cent coin is 24mm, the 25 cent coin is about 22mm, the fifty cent coin is about 28mm. Someone has already suggested the canadian 1 cent.

Now, I once had a gold plated Churchill crown.....come to think of it, I still do! :lol:

Perhaps this coin of yours is indeed a canadian coin, but plated. An edge test should quickly establish if its plated or not. :ninja:

Ian

Yep I belive it is gold plated and I remeasured it at 26mm. I still don't know why someone would go to the trouble of plating it, when the other side is so smooth and flat?

Who knows. Maybe someone had a thing about George V and was going to make it into a love token or something, but the idea ran out of steam.....your imagination is likely to be as good as anyone's in figuring out what might have been. :ninja:

I've got some various coins that have been `tampered with' such as coins that have had the reverses smoothed then engraved either as love tokens or ID tags; coins that have been carved; coins made into smugglers pieces; coins that have been enamelled or otherwise made into jewellery items; holed for suspension or just plain butchered for the sake of it........(including as i said, the gold plated Churchill :lol: )

Archived