CoinPeople.com

GOETZ: K-14 Wittelsbach Plaque

K 14, Four Generations of the Wittelsbach House, uniface plaque, 1911, silvered-nickel, 158mm X 228mm Choice AU.

This is a uniface, incuse-reverse cast plaque that had not been trimmed by Goetz for sale but may have been an artist proof. The only untrimmed one I have seen.

Four busts, right, in court costume; 90 year-old Prince Regent Luitpold, Prince Ludwig, 60, Prince Ruprecht, 42, and 10 year old Prince Luitpold. 1911 in Roman numerals bottom left and Royal Arms in roses at right.

K%2014.jpg

That's an interesting piece. What was it's intended use? Given as a memento of the anniversary? Gift to supporters? State function?

That's an interesting piece. What was it's intended use? Given as a memento of the anniversary? Gift to supporters? State function?

Perhaps all of the above? At this time in his career Goetz was primarily doing commission work for the royal family. This piece was also made in 70mm X 50mm silver, bronze, and lead varieties as well as a 130mm X 195mm bronze piece. Without written records I can only assume that the silver examples were made for the royal family members to commemorate the four living males. Goetz may have made the bronze to sell to other interested parties.

I really like the effect of the untrimmed piece. Goetz's work is always exceptional, but the rectangular, trimmed plaque is rather mundane in contrast to the piece pictured here. Besides being unusual by virtue of being unfinished, I find it more interesting and artistically superior. I'd love to sit and get a tour of your collection one day. Another impressive piece.

I'd love to sit and get a tour of your collection one day.

Bill, you're more than welcome anytime you're in Oregon.

It's funny, I've had only one person view my real, as opposed to cyber, collection...a fellow collector friend from Sweden. I have attempted to show family members but they haven't a clue what I am up to, nor do they have a wimper of a flame in their belly when it comes to collecting anything of value. :ninja:

That is an incredible piece. Being untrimmed adds appeal to an already beautiful design.

Archived