CoinPeople.com

LAUER, WWI Commemorative

LAUER, 1914, Struck silver medal, 33.4mm 18g. Scarce, fast Stempelglanz. Zetzmann 2036.

To commemorate the war meeting of the realm on 4 August, 1914.

Reverse: Three eagles (adlers) over the French (Rooster), Britain (Bulldog) and Russia (bear).

Zetz2036BOTH.jpg

Zetz2036REV.jpg

The reverse is fantastic (the obverse ain't too shabby either). I love the use of symbols.

It was also mentioned elsewhere that it may only be two eagles on the reverse, but one with two heads signifying Austria-Hungary.  Makes sense to me....

I would argue for three since there are three on the obverse, but the design is ambiguous. I wouldn't be surprised if that was deliberate given the overall feel and theme of the medal. Great piece of art regardless of the artist's actual intention. It makes you think.

Interesting how it seems like the bear and the rooster are angrily looking at the bulldog as it in turns stares blankly ahead.

Don't really like those propaganda pieces anyway, but it is of course difficult to make a rooster look as aggressive or angry as a bulldog or a bear. :ninja:

Christian

Don't really like those propaganda pieces anyway, but it is of course difficult to make a rooster look as aggressive or angry as a bulldog or a bear. :ninja:

Christian

I don't know about that...Goetz made the Rooster look "bent out of shape" quite often...but then again, he was much better at caricature then any of the other artists.

Don't really like those propaganda pieces anyway, but it is of course difficult to make a rooster look as aggressive or angry as a bulldog or a bear. :lol:

Christian

OK so perhaps maybe not so angry, but it sure looks to be giving ol' John Bull an earfull! :ninja:

OK so perhaps maybe not so angry, but it sure looks to be giving ol' John Bull an earfull! :lol:

I get the same look as the bulldog when it's my wife giving me an earful! :ninja:

Archived