CoinPeople.com

1797 trade dollar

Mark Stilson

Eleven people bid on that coin! Even if they couldn't tell the coin was fake from the picture, do they think the catalogs just missed a 1797 US coin????? It looks like the whole lot of the sales from the seller are likely fake and attracting active bidders. Oh my.

I saw a fake of an 1842-S SL Dollar in Guangzhou last week, I wanted to buy it, but didn't succeed in getting the seller to take my price of 10 Yuan and not the 100 Yuan he wanted for it.

I never knew the Mexicans were minting SL Dollars at Yerba Buena in the 1840's. Live and learn.

I saw a fake of an 1842-S SL Dollar in Guangzhou last week, I wanted to buy it, but didn't succeed in getting the seller to take my price of 10 Yuan and not the 100 Yuan he wanted for it.

I never knew the Mexicans were minting SL Dollars at Yerba Buena in the 1840's.  Live and learn.

10 yuan nowadays don't take a lot. There used to be 1 yuan banknote circulated back in 1999, but that has been converted to coins. Similar fate to the Russian 1997 5 rubles banknote. You can't do much with 5 rubles except to maybe buy bread or some potatoes when I was there in 2000.

Actually I got quite a few 1 Yuan banknotes in change, I still have a large stack of them, I even got a lot of the older 1980's series which are still circulating in parts of China, as noted in my other post there seem to be regional preferences for popular forms of tender.

With the older notes, some were well worn as expected, but I also managed to get uncirculated examples of them in change, ie not bent or folded, marked up. So it is possible they were printed in large quantities several years ago and their stocks are still present and being depleted.

Archived