CoinPeople.com

1968d Again

910537.jpg

I posted this a while ago but didn't get a reply as to the type of error, I figure it is a strike through but again want the experts opinion. Deleted the last pic so here it is again. Opinions please. :ninja:

Not an expert, but that kind of looks like lamination to me.

it could be....the planchet could have laminated before the strike. but it could also have been struck through a peice of metal that has laminated. Most laminations actitually get worse as they are circulated. if you look on e bay lots of the ones for sale are circulated. that's because sometimes when they are new it isn't that noticeable. without getting a loupe on it....it's hard to tell

that sure is a weird one....I'm gonna have to go with lamination before strike on this one...

You can see in the head where the detail is not quite as it should be...that can be caused by both striking through a very thin strip of metal.... or a lamination before strike. it's the texture in the areas in the fields that steers me towards this being an lamination... I have seen strike throughs that look very very similar to this. If it was a strike through you would look for little folds in the metal it was struck through in the area...

Archived