CoinPeople.com

Nickel vs Chromium Plated Coinage

fjrosetti

In minting the 1944 and 1945 V nickels, and again for the regular 5 cent coins of 1951 throu 1954, the RCM used chromium plating on the steel core.

This time, for the steel coins, nickel was selected for the plating and I wonder why nickel rather than chromium, as was done on the earlier coins.

Was chromium plating considered again for the new steel coins? Or has it become too expensive? Or too limited a metal? :ninja:

Here is a short brief coinage of the Canadian coins.

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/incocoin/cannickel.html

I believe that Chromium plating was only used as an alternative or more like an alloy coupled together with nickel, as nickel became too expensive in WWII. Chromium was origianlly thought to have strong lasting properties which was then used in coinage.

I don't see how the Canadian mint would think of using chromium plating ever again, unless the price of nickel proves to be too expensive.

All steel coinage these days (1999-) is nickel plate, except for the cent of course, which is copper plated.

The commem is in no was supposed to be the same as the original, just kinda a re-issue, like the US buffalo nickel, which has changed from the original.

All steel coinage these days (1999-) is nickel plate, except for the cent of course, which is copper plated.

The commem is in no was supposed to be the same as the original, just kinda a re-issue, like the US buffalo nickel, which has changed from the original.

you said it :ninja: