CoinPeople.com

Toned in mint package

Mark Stilson

Guest Stujoe

I have never had any myself but I have seen plenty advertised as having Mint Set Toning, especially Franklins. I imagine it is not uncommon.

Just caught me off guard. None of my other sets have any toning, at least like this.

dime from same set.

909555.jpg

nickel same set solid golden tone (Seen this several times)

909556.jpg

penny from same set

909557.jpg

that nickel toning is fairly common. That lincoln looks awesome gold-toned(may be the lighting?) . There's always the possibility that the planchets used for the dimes were "cleaner" or "fresher"  than the silver planchets for the halves and quarters.

The penny is nice and gold. The pictures are pretty close on it.

That makes sense on the difference.

I can't see the pictures but I've seen many Jeffersons with a gold tone and some with a blue tone in mint and proof sets from the 60s-80s.

I've always held the theory that toning within the sets is caused by:

1) impurities on the plancettes -- could be grease from the press or breath from a worker

2) air leakage into the packaging -- some compartments may allow air/moisture in while others are fully sealed.

3) impurities in the packaging

Combinations of the above.

I can see the pics now.

Yes....very common to find toning in 60's proof sets. I have purchased hundreds of sets looking for toners instead of Cameo's and 1 in about 10 sets have some descent toning.......usually on the Nickel but not uncommon on the Silver Coins. In my experience the toning is caused buy the outgasing that happens when the plastic starts to break down. In almost every case I have seen the packaging that contains toned coins is starting to deteriote and even come apart in some cases.

Here are two coins I pulled out of a 1961 Proof set and I have another 61 proof set still in tact with some nice toners in it.

1961obv.jpg1961rev.jpg

1961qtrobv.jpg1961qtrrev.jpg

Bpth of these coins were originally bodybagged by NGC even though I cut them out of the plastic myself. I sent them back in for review and they promptly graded both free of charge.

The toning, for me, of the proof sets are either fantastic or horrible. Seems to be no middle ground. Although the ones posted above (all in fact) would sit favorably with me and my collection.

Archived