CoinPeople.com

Baltimore Show - Mar 06

syzygy

I attended the Baltimore show today. I am told that this is one of the larger shows and I have been there 3-4 times previously. When I have gone on Sunday, many of the dealers have already left, but maybe 1/2-2/3 of the bourses are still available.

[/insert soap box]

DEALERS - please stay for the whole show! Not everybody can make it on Saturday. Fewer can take off of work on Friday. No way casual collectors and the general public make the "special" dealer bourses. So, stay the whole time that the show is announced. Empty dealer booths look bad.

[/remove soap box]

OK, with that out of the way, let me tell ya about all the good stuff I got....For this show, I was not searching for anything particular, other than scouting for some of the Italy 1911 series (particularly the 2L and 5L) but they were not to be had anywhere. So I used all of the time to browse as I felt like browsing.

Stopped at Barry Murphy's booth - a nice guy and I am developing the habit of picking up an ancient or two from him at this show.

First up, a Constantine I, "two victories"...

909522.jpg

... and a Constantine I, Jupiter - this is very close to a favorite of mine that I had owned previously.

909521.jpg

Next on the agenda was a silver hunk search. Picked up this Mexican 8 reales. I know it's taken some hits, but I like this Libertad cap design and have been wanting one for a while.

909524.jpg

Then I met a friendly CT dealer (and I can't find his buisness card, but I think I know his name from the list in the program). He had a very nice selection of Swedish 2 Kronor uncs and they were very reasonably priced, so I picked up these four pieces.

909525.jpg

909526.jpg

909527.jpg

909528.jpg

He also had a decent Canadian silver dollar, and I don't have a single one in my collection..until now.

909529.jpg

This interesting piece caught my eye, but I don't know much about it - apparently it was a trial British piece, maybe the first bimetal? Some research is needed here, but I liked it and felt like indulging.

909530.jpg

Moving on, this frosty Singapore piece has a new home...

1977singapore10d0vl.jpg

With all these world coins, I started to feel a bit guilty that I was ignoring my primary US efforts. Well, I did see some nice Seated Liberty dollars and maybe next show I will get one. For now, I ended the day upgrading my half collection with these two proofs (in the next post - I think I went over the pic count!).

...and so ended a nice coin show. Total of all the purchases you see here (and the two Kennedy proofs) was $162 - nicely under budget (not that I really had one, but it sounds good). Now I have some cataloging and researching to keep me busy for a while :ninja:

Collectors after my own heart! It looks like you both had fun, bought some great coins, and enjoyed yourselves. That's the mark of a good weekend and a productive show. I love the totem pole and that 1932 Gustaf! Wow.

Archived