CoinPeople.com

Dansco Jeffersons w/Proofs

Art

A while ago in one of the threads, Stujoe and I discussed why he makes custom albums vs. purchasing the off-the-shelf items. He had great reasons based upon the way he collects. Well I have another to add to the list.

In the Jefferson album it has spaces for proof only issues but for issues where both a proof and circulation strike were made from the same Mint - there is only one slot. No hole labelled 1961 and then 1961 Proof for example. There are quite a few years that fall into this problem. For my collection I had intended to have both the Proof and the Uncirulated strike. Oh well, next time around, I'll go with blanks and do my own labelling.

I'm sure the Lincolns will have the same problem - haven't looked yet.

Guest Stujoe

Very interesting. I did not know that and would not have guessed it either. It would sem more logical if they were adding spaces to proof to put all the proofs in it.

FOr the way I made my sets I had no real choice but to get blank pages and build my own. One thing I don't like is that the pages look a little plain without dates embossed inot them. I am still waiting to stumble on the perfect way I want to label them. I may never find it. :ninja:

I'd guess that you could make nice labels for the blank pages by getting high quality clear address labels and printing them on a laser printer. Then cut and stick.

And now you have the added thing of the satin finish regular finish for "circulation" grade coins. Dansco said they will not be including spaces for the satin finish at this time.

Somebody like Brother or ?? makes a label machine with small print and they have a clear tape for that as well. It's a lot of work...

In the Jefferson album it has spaces for proof only issues but for issues where both a proof and circulation strike were made from the same Mint - there is only one slot. No hole labelled 1961 and then 1961 Proof for example. There are quite a few years that fall into this problem.

I'm sure the Lincolns will have the same problem - haven't looked yet.

Thats why Dansco Markets the Albums as.... Jefferson Nickels 1938 to date

including proof only issues.

Thats why Dansco Markets the Albums as.... Jefferson Nickels 1938 to date

including proof only issues.

To me that means that all of the circulation AND proof issues are there, including those special proof only issues. If I want to collect the proof only issues doesn't it make sense that I'd want the proofs that were issued at the same time as circulation issues from the same mint?

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

I'm torn as to what to do about this. I could order extra blank pages and build my own proofs only pages. BUT then I should have ordered the book without proof only issues. It's all too messy.

On top of that my cents book is missing two of the slides. I'm tempted to return them and start all over. I'd go with the biggest book and make custom pages with the issues that I want.

Guest Stujoe
I'd go with the biggest book and make custom pages with the issues that I want.

I think it is the 1 1/4" album and slipcase that I go with and it holds 8 pages for the small coins (cents, dimes, nickels). Might only be 7 pages for dollars, halves, quarters? I haven't bought albums for that part of my collection yet.

Well, I've decided to continue my quest with the albums as they are and when I "complete" them I'll probably get the base album without proofs and create my own Proofs only album.

Archived