CoinPeople.com

Finally!!! A 1832 Kolyvan Commerative 5 ruble!!!

gxseries

Mintage is just an exceeding scarce 1000 so this appears VERY rarely, in fact my FIRST time seeing a picture of it in color :ninja:

As well as me going :lol:

Link: here

Nu?? Some people collect Porsche, some collect yachts ... and then there are those who collect Kolyvan 5 rouble gold coins ... :cry:

Didn't you notice all the tiny scratchs. You don't want that!

(Then again, its an amazingly beautiful coin. Worth dreaming about.)

Didn't you notice all the tiny scratchs. You don't want that!

(Then again, its an amazingly beautiful coin. Worth dreaming about.)

I'd be very proud to own that, even with the many imperfections. Unfortunately for me, that picture is the closest I'm ever likely to get to owning the real thing.

For those who don't understand the significence of this gold coin, this coin is minted to commemorate the introduction of gold extracted from the Kolyvan-Voskresensk mines into coinages.

If you exclude the commemorative 5 kopek 1757 of the Sestrorestsk mint (hey, no examples have been found yet), this might be the first, and actually the first gold commemorative coin ever minted in Imperial Russia. Although the designs are exactly the same as a typical 5 ruble around that era, except for an additional line, let's not forget that the year 1832 is the year when the coins went for a major change, and 1832 is the very year when the first such designs appear.

Indeed, who would wish to pay so much just for an extra line of text, but with the mintage of just 1000 rumored that it was given to the highest order of the Imperial family and relatives and possibly high officials of the mining managements, and coupled with the fact that such coin wasn't seen in the market for so long, is very likely to spark some crazy bidders who have been waiting for such coin to appear in the market.

• 6 months later...
A very beautiful coin.

I am first day here and I was reading back the 9 pages of posts, so I apologize for bringing back such an old thread (won't do it anymore!).... I could not keep myself.... and as a bit of сonsolation to those who wanted such coin: that particular conmem. piece was fake. This is why it was not sold.

Another piece is scheduled to be at Ekaterina auction this October.

I am first day here and I was reading back the 9 pages of posts, so I apologize for bringing back such an old thread (won't do it anymore!).... I could not keep myself.... and as a bit of сonsolation to those who wanted such coin: that particular conmem. piece was fake. This is why it was not sold.

Here's a link to the coin being sold in October.

Timofei, do NOT apologize for bringing up the old threads. All of these threads are worth discussing, regardless of how old they can be. Regardless, welcome to coinpeople :ninja:

Archived