CoinPeople.com

1904 20$ gold

sebb

Hello,

This is my very first post in here. I'm from Belgium so sorry for my poor english. I'm a complete newbie about coins, but I need to learn 'cause I'm willing to sell a coin I've received 20 years ago (or maybe not, depends...). I made some searches around and it seems that the value of the coin mainly depends on its grade. So I'd like to have your "expert" opinion about it. Thanks for your time ! Here it is:

pile2.jpg

OUCH! The scratches hurt! If they weren't there, it would be a very nice aUNC grade!!!

Value-wise, I am not too sure as I don't actively collect US gold coins but it's at least a few hundred dollars, thanks to the current gold bullion crazy pricing. You can check some examples on eBay to have a rough estimate of how much you should be getting.

Don't forget that you cannot sell the coin here as you need at least 30 days and mininum 50 posts.

There will be others who will comment later on, so stay tune... :ninja:

Guest Stujoe

Hard to tell if it is Unc or AU. The 2 scratches on the reverse and one on the obverse with some other lighter scratches certainly hurt. But, it is gold and I am not sure how they are graded. I would say either a high AU or a low MS. so maybe AU58 to MS62?

Definitely not uncirculated. The obverse has a sheen to it suggesting its been polished. May just be the pics. Regardless, if its just wear and not polished, I'd put the grade at AU-53. The details are 58 but the gouges on both sides drop the grade for me.

Has the coin been authenticated? I ask because the 1904, even though a very common date, is a heavily counterfeited issue.

Has the coin been authenticated?  I ask because the 1904, even though a very common date, is a heavily counterfeited issue.

No, but my grandfather gave one of them to every grandchildren 20 years ago, and he knew a lot about antiques. I'm pretty sure he knew where to buy real ones.

The scratches are a shame but look on the bright side, gold is going up!

I'd venture a guess in the range of mid XF to low AU, not sure how many points would be taken off for the scratches.

I'm sorry I don't understand your comment. Can you explain ? Thanks.

If you were worried about value, with gold going up so does the coins value (as it is basically 1oz of gold).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd have to go with Net AU-55 because of the scratches, otherwise it would be at least an AU-58. But at anyrate with gold over 500$ an ounce, you're pretty well off.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say it's a net AU coin with the scratches, and I concur with gpnyc on the need for authentication since there are numerous counterfeits (especially in Europe). The good news is that most of the good fakes came out of the Middle East, and they are usually done with identical specifications (i.e. close to 0.9675 oz. of pure gold) which means at $675 gold even the fakes are worth at least spot!

Archived