CoinPeople.com

Auction tokens

Pert near all I could bid on. But they are kinda neat.

Embosser die for a seal

Oregon Centenial Coin from Milton-Freewater

Oneside of the tokens.

the other sides of the tokens.

I don't know if any of them are worth anything, but they are kinda cool.

There's an arizona tax token in there, two tokens form the seattle world's expo, a boyscout jamboree token, a newmexico anniversary token, one from the Walla Walla Fair and Frontier days, and that weird die from an embossed seal press. (I mirror flipped the photo to read it.)

Pretty nifty. I don't know if they are worth the 9$ and change I paid for them, but hey, I got em.

:ninja:

It seems like in the 1960's a lot of municipalities issued these good for 50¢ and $1 tokens commemorating something or another, then afterwards nowhere seems to issue them anymore.

One of my favourites that I lost when I was a kid was one from Yankton, SD that had the battleship USS South Dakota on it.

I wonder at what point it became uncool to issue tokens like that?

LIke when Dairy Queen went to those plastic tokens for ice creams and then finally to cardboard.

Tilt went to coupons rather than tokens.

I wish they'd do it again. That one i have from the walla walla fair grounds is from the 30's and was good for admittance.

HOw many people would pay the admittance fee to a small county fair and then pay again for a ticket if they found out they had to give up the token?

It has to be a decent money maker.

In Canada, the practice continued to the late 70s, as the majority of the "trade dollars"/$1 tokens seen here are from that era (The '62 Seattle ones being the big exception from the 70's)

Some events (Merritt Mountain Festival [Merritt,B.C.]) still use tokens. I've got Merritt $1,$5, and $20 tokens myself. (Why didn't someone swap for some beers?!)

Archived