CoinPeople.com

Grading Sets

Burks

Has anyone here tried to make a grading set for a certain coin type (P01-MS)? Sounds like a fun thing to try and do. I'd love to try it with 1885 Morgans (100 years before my birth).

I've seen some on CU and they are pretty impressive, especially the type sets averaging in the low 2's.

A grading set of Saints is probably harder to do than a complete MS set!

I looked at the NGC pop reports, and there are none graded PO-1, 1 graded AG, 2 graded G, 1 graded VG, 5 graded F, 20 graded VF, and then they get pretty plentiful until MS-69 where there is 1 and MS-70 where there are none. As an added problem, all the lower grades that are hard to find are scattered among several different dates, making comparability somewhat limited.

I have a grading set for my 1907 Indian Head Cents. I'm still adding to it. Right now the cull and P are different years. I'm also missing quite a few in the MS range.

My goal is to have coins that are so clearly distinguisable as to grade that an exhibit can be made of them with pictures accompanying. The pictures will indicate the reasons for the particular grade. I plan to have 6 complete sets. I chose 1907 because it is the most available IHC. I'm striving for consistency in strike and coloration. It's harder than one might think.

I bet I have a grading set (but not of a single year) of Buffs, Mercs, Walkers, Lincolns, Jeffs and some other series except for the Poors and Fairs and maybe AGs. . I have never gone through and really looked but a matched set is never something I shoot for and most of my sets vary heavily in grades. :ninja:

I have a grading set for my 1907 Indian Head Cents. I'm still adding to it. Right now the cull and P are different years.  I'm also missing quite a few in the MS range.

My goal is to have coins that are so clearly distinguisable as to grade that an exhibit can be made of them with pictures accompanying. The pictures will indicate the reasons for the particular grade. I plan to have 6 complete sets. I chose 1907 because it is the most available IHC. I'm striving for consistency in strike and coloration. It's harder than one might think.

Art, that sounds like a really good project and pretty tough I would think. Should keep you busy for a while, but I sure would like to see it when it's finished!

I'd like to keep things as consistent as well. No damage like dings, scratches, AT, etc. Goal is to go from P01 to MS65 (maybe 66). Sure it may takes years to do but it will be a challenge finding that P01 that isn't damaged!

Art, that sounds like a really good project and pretty tough I would think.  Should keep you busy for a while, but I sure would like to see it when it's finished!

I've been working on this set on-and-off for over three years. Considering that 1907s are fairly common in most conditions you'd think it would be a snap. It's not. No damage, consistency of color and strike. The grades below good are difficult. Most culls are results of damage rather than pure wear. When I figure out how to do the pics, I'll put a booklet together on it and share it with the folks who are interested.

I plan to make an ANA or FUN Convention exhibit out of it.

• 2 years later...

Can't wait for Art to get back to hear his progress on this. I think this is a great idea. Since I strongly believe in the study of a series, this would be a great backbone for such a study. I've already got a very low grade Barber dime (Fair - 2, I think). And this is the series I have always wanted to study from the first patterns to the last die used.

But this creates ANOTHER debate over slabbing. If you do such a set, how many coins does it take? Do you do a coin at each discrete grade between 0 and 70? Do you do VF, XF, AU 53, then start into the single grade intervals? How do you distinguish the average coin graded AU 53? Do you do slabs? Which TPG??

I have always wanted to take a coin or coins and make a photo or coin set of wear. When in doubt grab a grinder and some darkener.

Ooh darkener. never though to of that.

Oh, and another good thread for the (hopefully soon to be founded) photog forum: how to properly photograph a coin to reliably display the wear. That thread would compliment a grading set or photo album of grades like you suggest

• 1 year later...
Oh, and another good thread for the (hopefully soon to be founded) photog forum: how to properly photograph a coin to reliably display the wear. That thread would compliment a grading set or photo album of grades like you suggest

:ninja: Art, looks like I've been barking up that tree for a while

good topic, bump.

I actually have an iPhone App that PCGS released a month or so ago - Photograde for all the major US coins (Morgan, Peace, Lincoln, Barber, Washington, etc). Pretty cool. I haven't used it yet because the coins I have bought I'm already familiar at grading.

Archived