CoinPeople.com

Certified Coins

bill

Certified coins used to mean something different. The 99 Company married coins and first day covers to market a new product, first day coins. I never got interested in them myself, but I have one that Maury Gould used as a unique business card. Maurice Gould was co-owner of Boston's Copley Coin Co. David Bowers bought his first mail order coin from Copley Coins. I met Maury at the 1970 ANA Summer Seminar (another one is coming up and I recommend the experience). In addition to handling pristine Pine Tree shillings shared by this master of colonial coins, he helped spark my enthusiam for tokens and medals as well as the full range of numismatic topics. Note that this "certified 1970 cent" carries his signature. I value it more than a modern slab because of the many memories it evokes.

Gould.jpg

You guys are making me feel old. I do remember them. The very first one used the 1964 Kennedy half dollar and was simply the half dollar glued to the first day cover. It wasn't until a couple of issues later that they began using the cellephane windo envelopes with the numismatic item INSIDE the first day cover.

If I remember right, that half dollar was worth a small fortune (not by today's standards, but relative to the time). Wonder whatever happened to it?

Archived