CoinPeople.com

2005 €10

Sir Sisu

905428.jpg

Designer: Reijo Paavilainen

Ag 925, 38.6mm, 25.5g

Mintage BU 25,000 - PROOF 15,000

Obverse: Two jagged lines that form a trench and also outline a soldier's profile.

Reverse: A strip of film with the text replacing the holes, a soldier, some of the Euro stars are incorporated into the image of war with flying bullets, etc.

Edge: Plain

Commemortaes the 50th year since the release of the film version of the Unknown Soldier. The Unknown Soldier was written by Väinö Linna (pictured on the Finnish 20 markkaa note) and was published less than a decade after the end of World War II. It reopened a lot of wounds about the war, but also brought the subject to public discussion. The film version was released a year after the book. It was directed by Edvin Laine and became the most viewed Finnish film of all time. The book and the film were quite controversial for a country that had just survived a war against large aggressors and was now under the shadow of the neighboring Iron Curtain.

See also Wikipedia's Unknown Soldier

It's a wonderful design. I like the note too.

I think that the trench and outline of the soldier's face is ingenious. Wish I had a mind that worked that way.

Archived