CoinPeople.com

The Capture of Antwerp, 1914

I just purchased these two pieces which will soon be in my Goetz collection. These are dealer images.

Both have been attributed to C.Drentwett (a medallist AND company in Augsburg) although it was Goetz who made the obverses, probably by commission and with the understanding that his name would not appear on the medal. I'll do more research to find out if the reverses are his too.

The Wilhelm piece, to date, hasn't been recorded and wasn't included in Kienast. I can chalk up another Goetz "find"...

1914, The Capture of Antwerp, Struck silver, 33.3mm, 14.6g, edge-stamped "990 SILBER", RRR, Zetzmann 4037, Stempleglanz

Obverse: Wilhelm II and Franz Joseph I, Left, Legendless.

Reverse: "Capture of Antwerp after a seige of only 12 days, October 9th, 1914"

051208052bz.jpg

1914, The Capture of Antwerp, Struck silver, 33.4mm, 14.7g, RR, Zetzmann 4038, PP.

Obverse: Wilhelm, left, in uniform with eagle helmet, "Wilhelm II, German Kaiser".

Reverse: Identical to reverse above.

051208053bz.jpg

I can't wait to see YOUR photos of these two :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

These two medals finally showed up today...the dealer pictures above don't hold a candle to these in real life. I won't get a chance to image these until this weekend though. As proofs, they're going to be tough to capture in an image....

Archived