CoinPeople.com

Russia, or Soviet Union or ?

Art

Can someone tell me something about this note. Is it 10 Rubles? Is it from Russia or techinically from the Soviet Union or is it from USSR? or Brooklyn? Help?

Russia10Rubles1961-vi.jpg

Russia10Rubles1961rev-vi.jpg

10 rubles.

At the side with the portrait of Lenin, above that large "10" in the centre of the note, it says something like "Note of the SSSR State Bank" (Biljet Gosudarstvennogo Banka SSSR)

I have one of those, picked it up when I was in Russia in 1992. The same side, just below the "10" in the lower right corner shows the year : 1961

me too :ninja:

And when I spent those, one could get quite some for it (if there was anything in the store.....)

I remember when the new 1991 100 Rubles notes came out, there was a stir when you spent them, because that denomination hadn't been seen in a while, and at that moment it was still a lot of money in the USSR, but not for long.

I've got one of those too, as well as a matching "50".

They still carry "SSSR".

If I remember well, just around the time I was there, a 500 ruble note was issued, but I can be mistaken.

What I do know is that in two weeks time, the exchange rate for 1 dollar changed from 150 rubles / dollar to 210 rubles / dollar.

I sent a post card home, with a 3 ruble stamp on it.

A year later, I received a letter from St. Peterburg, with 2500 rubles on postage on it :ninja: speaking of inflation....

The 500 and 1000 ruble notes were actually released in 1992, but they still had SSSR on them, the designs were being prepared and nobody really knew what the country was called yet. I received most of my mail from there with EX-USSR on it, that was what the country was called for awhile by citizens.

In 1991 rubles declined in value to about 3¢ in USA $, shortly thereafter the downward spiral started in.

All the while wages were not increasing, but prices were.

Archived